coolant loss?? no idea but keeps leaking! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-02-2008, 07:01 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
coolant loss?? no idea but keeps leaking!

my 03' 6.0 leaks coolant from somewhere under the resorvior but ive been looking and cant seem to find where its coming from? 70thousand miles on truck and heads have been studded so i doubt its head gasket. what type of lines are there underneath? it looks as if its coming from middle of back of engine/firewall but more to the driverside i believe? when it gets low, engine temp rises to mid guage but still within normal except my heat cools down in vents and i can smell it slightly cause it drips on exhaust and smokes slightly under hood. it only seems to do it when i get on the throttle heavy for a few pulls but normal driving i dont think its doing this. any suggestions? im new to these trucks and dont wanna risk damaging it. i keep topping off w 50/50 but cant keep doing this forever! thnx guys
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-02-2008, 07:24 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Got it too

My 04 does the same thing. Started out leaking from res. Took it off and filled with water, found a small crack at bottom. It leaks slow but when I re-installed it started to leak faster. Fixed it but leak came back somewhere else I guess cause Im still losing coolant. Now I have white smoke coming out the exhaust but its weird, when I throttle up and then let off completly it blows a puff a white. Smells sweet and coolant resoiver now gets extremly hot and is steaming when I remove cap. No clue why but its getting worse!
Old 11-02-2008, 07:25 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

it might be your water pump but i have never heard it going out with that low of miles
Old 11-02-2008, 08:34 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Send a message via AIM to 03f250stroke
under the degas bottle its just reg heater hose. it could be leaking under there, its got a fitting in the line i believe. i had a leak in my 03 and it was from the rad hose clamp. but if its hitting the manifold then either the degas bottle has a leak in it or the line is maybe torn/cracked. or that fitting down there. try to dry it and see where it is coming from again. its tight under there but if you pull the intake out of there you will have alot more room to check.
Old 11-03-2008, 11:22 AM

ima check it out some more in a bit. thanx for the tips. i just ordered the new upgraded egr cooler hose cause mines still orange one and ive been researching and heard they leak all the time and thats a good start. whether or not thats the problem i figure for 23$ its good insurance for something fairly easy to swap?
Old 11-03-2008, 11:45 AM

When my EGR cooler failed, my coolant reservoir ended up cracking on the back on the underside. Not sure if they were related but Ford warrantied everything and replaced the coolant reservoir with the new one with the updated fill line.
Old 11-03-2008, 11:49 AM

Send a message via MSN to Justinlw
There is a hose that crosses over the back of the engine and has a tendency to rest on the FICM. This ends up rubbing through, and causes a leak on the drivers side rear engine just above the driver's up pipe and manifold.
Old 11-04-2008, 04:11 PM

well thats exactly what it was! after taking out airbox and stuff i dryed everything up and filled resorviour and watched for leaks. metal pipe on firewall behind turbo had hole rubbed right in it!. my fix?: i bout about 7ft. of heater hos and under intake connected where that was and ran it over top of engine. where the heater core hose connects to other end of metal pipe i saw zawed it off and connected new piece to that! works great and was prob a lot cheaper then buying new piece from ford! got heat now and no leaks or overheating! cant beat it for 15bucks and same amount of work! thanks for help guys!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.