Truck has no power 911 - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-20-2014, 02:49 PM
Serving Our Country!

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Truck has no power 911

I have been having this issue for a while now but I'm all out of ideas. The batteries keep draining after I turn off the truck and within a few hours they are completely dead. There is obviously a draw somewhere but idk where.

I recently took my truck to the shop a couple of weeks ago about this problem. The truck was supposed to be done within a few days but ended up taking about a week and a half to 2 weeks. Which shouldn't have happened (I also had a level kit installed but that still shouldn't take this amount of time).

The shop claimed to have found the problem which was a ignition switch but obviously that now isn't the problem. When I picked up the truck it ran fine and started right up, but when I got home I noticed that a plug was disconnected from the alternator and when I turn off the truck the batteries drained due to that so I plugged the plug in and hooked my charger to bring the batteries back. After that everything seemed fine.

Now starting a few days ago I get into my truck and try to start it and guess what it is dead. I hook up my charger and the dial on it goes crazy shooting everywhere from 0% charge to 100% every second. There is also a clicking noise from the center of the engine where the "Powerstroke" plate is. Also inside the cab anything that deals with electric (switches, dash, etc) you can hear the flow of electricity going through it and if you press a switch it goes crazy.

So my question is what should I do? Should I call the shop and flip out? Bring it to a new shop to be checked? Try to find the source myself? Idk really what to do or what can cause this. I'm strapped for money so another repair bill I can't have when I'm trying to save for tires as the ones I got now are pretty much bald.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-20-2014, 02:51 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

check out the gp relay, if it gets stuck in the on postition it can do some of the things your seeing...
Old 02-20-2014, 03:12 PM
Serving Our Country!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannanw View Post
check out the gp relay, if it gets stuck in the on postition it can do some of the things your seeing...
How would I test that and look for the right thing?
I found this, but what exactly should I look at on the relay.

Old 02-20-2014, 03:30 PM
Serving Our Country!

After doing a little research I saw you test the relay with a volt tester. When the truck is off the side where the battery is, is supposed to be 12V and the other side to be 0 and then 12V when you turn the key.

Since I can't charge my batteries and they're completely dead how am I supposed to test it with the key on? My batteries are within warrenty but I fear if I hook up new ones they will just drain, sending me back to the store.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.