starts fine then runs rough with c/ engine - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-31-2008, 04:19 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
starts fine then runs rough with c/ engine

I've had the truck for almost 2 years with no problems. 95 powerstroke auto 4x4 all stock except for a cold air kit. Put it up for sale 1 month ago and then glow plug relay died 2 weeks ago. Replace it ran fine. Today took it to get it undercoated and when i started it up at the garage it fired up fine then started loping big time with check engine on. Stayed like this for about 1 minute or so. It would die out if you don't keep your foot on the pedal. Then like you flipped on a light switch the check engine goes out and it goes into its normal purr. When its running bad it has no power. Got it home and seemed ok. Went back a few hours after and started it up and same thing. Ran bad for about 1 1/2 min with check engine on. Then goes out and runs fine. Drove about 2 miles to get diesel shut it off same thing when i went started it yet it only lasted 15 seconds. Got it home shut it off and started it and it ran fine. Seems worse the colder it is. If it was the cam sensor the tach would go nuts and not move during cranking right?

I'm thinking that it was a coincidence after having it under coated, but ??

I don't have an obdII which i need to get a code right? Is that the only way to get the code out? Will it store the code in memeory after the light goes out? really don't want to buy a scanner as I'm trying to sellt he truck.

Thanks guys
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-31-2008, 04:48 PM

bump bump bump
Old 11-01-2008, 02:03 PM

I played with it some today. It was real bad when it was cold 1st start of the day. Once it ran for about 3-4 minutes again like you flipped a light switch cel goes off and runs normal. When it runs rough it makes a loud tick tick tick. When it is running bad if i unplug the injector control pressure sensor it runs slightly worse. Once it is running ok unplugging this sensor makes no change in how it runs.

Once it started running normal i took it for a 3-4 mile drive. The CEL came on twice for about 5 seconds each time. When this happens it loses power, but no smoke when it runs bad.

Could this be the cam position sensor?

I can't figure out why the problem is intermittent and seems worse when the engine is cold. 2 out of 3 times it will run like this when you shut the engine off then restart it. When the engine is hot it will run like this for 15 seconds when you first start it.

Guess i'll have to have the codes read.
Old 11-01-2008, 02:25 PM

does it feel like a whole bank dies,is it that rough?maybe your oil pressure is dropping due to a sticky ipr valve.someone correct me if its wrong.it also could starve for fuel out of the blue,how old is the fuel pump?
Old 11-01-2008, 02:25 PM

does it ever do it when its warm?
Old 11-01-2008, 02:48 PM

Say i get back from a ride the engine is warm and running fine, if i shut it off then start it up again it will run bad for 10-15 seconds with cel on.

I installed a new lift pump a year ago due to it leaking out the weep hole. It was puking out fuel big time steady stream at idle and it got worse with increaded rpms. You never would have known that it was leaking fuel ran like a top.

Now when it runs rough it will lope down to like 250 rpms. Sounds down atleast 2 cylinders, so maybe a whole bank is down.

All of a sudden like night and day the light goes out and runs normal. Oil is clean and full.

If a glow plug is bad would it cause a short in the wiring? It almost always does this when you first start it up.
Can't see it a dead glow plug as it fires as soon as you hit the key and it was a little above freezing today. As soon as it fires though the cel comes on.

Last edited by 95PDXLT; 11-01-2008 at 02:52 PM.
Old 11-01-2008, 03:26 PM

mine has done this once,i went in the gas station and when i came out,started it,it ran teriible for about 1 minutes.felt like one whole bank quit running.then just like you said,like i someone flipped a switch,bam it went right back to normal.let me ask you this,was the wait to start light flickering?mine was when it happened to me,hasnt happened since,its been about a month so far.a dead glow plug wont affect anything other then not aiding in cold starts.250rpms is really rough,im suprised it will still run at those r's.what if the fuel system is loosing its prime in the lines,the fuel is leaking back to the tank,but theres still fuel in the rails and in the injectors,so when you first start it,it has enough fuel to start,but then starts to run out because the pump has to prime the lines again,which would seem to take 15-20 seconds,once it pumps the fuel up,it smooths out.when it runs rough,does it remind you off running out of fuel feeling?
Old 11-01-2008, 03:27 PM

also maybe air in the fuel or hpo system.
Old 11-01-2008, 04:06 PM
Premium Member

psd

wire harness..
Old 11-01-2008, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyin hawaiian View Post
wire harness..
uvch? im not sure on this one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.