Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

tuck died this morning,help!!!

1K views 10 replies 4 participants last post by  sikktruk01 
#1 ·
started truck up this mornin to warm up a bit,cam back out,sounded like it was running alittle diff,then it just kept getting worse,like it was droppin one cylinder at a time,then it finally died and wont start.while cranking im gettin white puffs of smoke so i think that means fuel is there.i just pulled a fuse that is blown #17,its a 30 amp,cant figure out what it is,any ideas would help,thanksim goin out to check hpop now and some other things,i dont smell any burnt smell from oil cap so i think the uvch is okay,what do u guys thinks?

#4 ·
yes. replace fuse. try again.

#5 ·
otherwise, if that fuse does not work the pump, you need a new pump.

#6 ·
I'm not sure about OBS but there's a fuel heater in the filter housing on the later style's that is known to short out and pop fuses. I've also heard of people with that problem just unplugging the fuel heater and leaving it be. good luck

#7 ·
is there two fuel pumps on the obs?i know theres one buy the fuel bowl but is there another by the tank,is there a way to test them?or a fuse or something ?the fuel bowl isnt filling so it has to be the pump right?

#9 ·
again, not sure about the OBS but the main pump is mounted on the insideof the d/s frame rail under the cab on the superduty's. the pump beside the fuel filter is the HPOP. If your fuel filter bowl is dry then your main pump is probably shorted. get someone to listen while you cycle the key, should hear it run for a few seconds when the key is first turned on without cranking the engine.( like waiting for your glow plugs)

#10 ·
the obs pump is mechanical,and it is mounted right behind the fuel bowl,that must be the prob,thanks for the help

#11 ·
wasn't much help to ya but good luck, and I'd strongly suggest going with a ford/motocraft replacement.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.