7.3 Stumble? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-28-2006, 04:23 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
7.3 Stumble?

I have a 2000 250 7.3 6spd w/97k on it. It has a stumble around 10 minutes after running down the road. It acts like you just shut the key off and then turn it back on. After it does it, it will not act up again no matter how long you drive it until you shut it off. It does not seem to care if it's empty, or pulling my 5th wheel. But when I start it back up, it will do it almost every time 5-10 min after starting it. I changed the fuel filter, no codes, no lights, doesn't affect the cruise or radio. I figure it might be a temp sensor or something like that. Has anyone else had this problem, or can tell me where to start looking? Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-28-2006, 04:26 PM
The Fat Mod

humm, sounds strange, maybe a CPS, but usually they dont do it everytime and then start back fine. What are you checking your codes with, some of the cheaper readers will not pick up all the codes. Maybe a Tech will be along shortly to give you a better answer. Good Luck with it.
Old 11-28-2006, 04:31 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

A local shop checked it for me. Not sure what he used.
Old 11-28-2006, 04:33 PM
The Fat Mod

OK, that should be fine, usually a CPS will throw a code too I belive, not sure, but someone should be along that knows a little more shortly.
Old 11-28-2006, 04:39 PM
duct tape & zip ties

Send a message via Yahoo to bigcountrysg
7.3 Stumble?

My 2002 7.3 was doing that. I couldn't get no codes so I decided to just change the CPS and guess what it fixed the problem. But what you are describing in your post is exactly what my truck was doing. When it would start acting up I just floored the throttle. It usually worked through it but when it was actually stalling out is when I decided to change the cps (cam position sensor) before you go spend alot of money at a shop trying to figure out what is wrong with yoru truck I would get one of these sensors and swap out the one on the truck right now.
Old 11-28-2006, 04:49 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

It just quits for a split second. I don't have to work through it, it comes back to life right away like nothing happened. It really makes me nervous though, when I'm working it, pulling, and it stumbles, it must be very hard on the rear-end that pulling-off-then the snap back to power. Thanks
Old 11-28-2006, 07:48 PM
Thats Mr. Oil Leak.....

Send a message via AIM to MrJohnWayne Send a message via MSN to MrJohnWayne Send a message via Yahoo to MrJohnWayne
my old 02 did the same thing. It was the CPS.
Old 12-09-2006, 08:08 PM
Powerstroke Diesel Enthusiast

It is the CPS, most people on the forum here say they usually get codes with a CPS problem, but for me everytime it seems that I have to diagnose a CPS I get no codes, the only odd thing with your problem is that you say once it happens it won't happen again untill you shut your truck off and start it again, and usually within the same time period, haven't encountered that but I do believe that it is the CPS....
Old 12-09-2006, 08:10 PM
Banned

bottom line...replace the CPS and save the old one. You should have a spare in your glove box anyway just in case. If it fixes the problem....buy another one and put it in your glovebox. If it doesnt fix the problem.....put the old one in your glove box and we will try to help you further. This way you end up with a spare to get you home either way.
Old 12-09-2006, 08:17 PM
BIG TRUCK, SMALL DRIVER

Mine does the same thing, but will do it multiple times in a row. Usuall when I pull up to a stopsign and especilly when I'm pulling a trailer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.