no power, late shifts, oil where it shouldn't be!! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-11-2014, 01:23 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
no power, late shifts, oil where it shouldn't be!!

ok so I did my blue spring the other night and thats when it got bad, prior to that I would get some turbo flutter or farting out under a load or after hard acceleration. when I finished the blue spring my turbo would not start at all VGT stayed at 85% no boost no whistle or rushing sound from exhaust, my buddy gave it a couple good revs and it kicked in. the next morning when I took off the turbo started farting out and the truck was jerking, kinda like the fuel was restricted but no boost at all!. I went back home and pulled the EGR to clean it and found what looked like oil in the intake where the EGR valve goes, also had oil in the plumbing from turbo to intercooler, checked turbo and had some play in it but no damage to wheel. today I took it out and I have no power it's shifting late but still a smooth shift, I've all the sudden got squeaking at the belt and when I get on it a little I get a howling sound, like blowing across the top of a bottle.... idk where to go next and I'm about tapped out! the truck is an 04 F-350 cclb 6.0L with 111K miles on it.

I need some help desperately
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-11-2014, 02:41 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Did you happen to notice what the boost is doing? Sounds like the Vgt is sticking open with the low power and turbo farts. With the oil in the intake it sounds like there might be a turbo seal issue, which could contribute to the vanes sticking as it goes right back through the turbo when it is burned in the cylinders. Not sure of any other way for oil to get into tubing going to intercooler
Old 02-11-2014, 03:35 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by divotf15 View Post
Did you happen to notice what the boost is doing? Sounds like the Vgt is sticking open with the low power and turbo farts. With the oil in the intake it sounds like there might be a turbo seal issue, which could contribute to the vanes sticking as it goes right back through the turbo when it is burned in the cylinders. Not sure of any other way for oil to get into tubing going to intercooler
when the turbo would crap out the boost was 0 also. I'm pretty sure it was oil, unless it's coolant mixed with the carbon from the exhaust... I talked to someone on the FTE forum that said a small amount of oil in the CAC tubes is normal. I reset the PCM and ran a drive cycle and now it's pretty much back to normal except for what sounds like a lifter ticking in a gas motor..
Old 02-12-2014, 02:59 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I would be prepared for the turbo to stick again. High duty cycle and no boost indicates stuck vanes. Cleaning is easy though.

Oil in the intake tubes is not normal, but it is common. If it is not a lot, it could run for years. Also, leaky turbo is almost never catastrophic. They just get worse over time.

Glad to hear it's running ok now
Old 02-12-2014, 07:40 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

ok so around 1:30am I had to run out on a car accident and it was about -12 outside, my truck was not happy about that, I let it run at the station for awhile after the call and when I left to head home it started to do it all over again, the howling sounds like bearings going out on a shaft when it gets up to high RPM's, I'm guessing that would be the turbo, it's only at high acceleration. I'm thinking the turbo hasn't been getting enough oil due to a leak (oil in the intake) and now it's to the point I need to replace it. any thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.