7.3 starts, runs, then dies after a couple minutes - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-26-2008, 09:05 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
7.3 starts, runs, then dies after a couple minutes

I have a 7.3 2003 F350 Auto that runs fine, then all of a sudden dies. Gauges go flatline. No strange noises or sputtering. Just dies. It seems as if I wait a few minutes I can try again and it starts. It turns over fine so the batteries seem good. Wierd part is the day before this started happening I took it on a 200 mile trip with no problems. I can say the truck sat more than usual this summer due to the high fuel costs. Could this be the CPS or a fuel pump or some kind of computer part? Alternator?

Please help! Had to get towed home last time over 60 miles.

I replaced the fuel filter with no change so far.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-26-2008, 09:18 PM
Super Moderator

Have you had the CPS Recall done on it yet? You can call Ford to schedule it - Free.

My truck was doing something similar only sometimes it would shut off while I was driving. Since the CPS was replaced, no problems.
Old 10-30-2008, 06:46 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks everyone! I had the CPS recall done yesterday. So far so good!
Old 11-07-2008, 05:58 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Send a message via AIM to jetskier2313
Quote:
Originally Posted by flytimothy View Post
Thanks everyone! I had the CPS recall done yesterday. So far so good!
Have you had any recent problems with it shutting off?

This happened to me last night. I started my truck and started driving down the road about a mile later. Truck dies completely and then after pulling over it would start back up, weird......
Old 11-07-2008, 06:04 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetskier2313 View Post
Have you had any recent problems with it shutting off?

This happened to me last night. I started my truck and started driving down the road about a mile later. Truck dies completely and then after pulling over it would start back up, weird......
I haven't driven it much yet. It didn't do it again yet. I had to wait for my AAA 100mile free towing to kick in in case it happened again .

At least the recall is free so I would give it a shot. It needs to be done anyway. Those are the same exact symptoms I had.
Old 11-07-2008, 11:11 AM

Send a message via AIM to jetskier2313
when yours died would everything shut off? Like the radio. And then it would come back on?
Old 11-07-2008, 11:25 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I know all the gauges went dead. I didn't have the radio on so I am not sure about that. I do remember thinking it was like someone hit the kill switch.
Old 11-07-2008, 11:47 AM

Electronic Ghost

Was it raining or snowing prior to this problem, if so I might have an idea for all having this problem. I recently had a similar problem during and after a snow storm, I took my truck into the local dealership and they narrowed it down the a IDM issue, either a connection or a damaged IDM, the told me there is not a test for the IDM and it would cost about a $1,000 for a new one. I told them let me think about it and drove it home, from there I took apart the drivers side inner fender and removed the IDM, after disconnecting I notice a small amount of moisture and a burnt mark next to the high voltage prong, I cleaned up the connectors and took a heat gun, placed on cool and dried the IDM connectors. I then applied a generous amount of di-electric grease to both ends of the connector and after reconnection I applied a coat of marine grade waterproof silicone spray to the connector. After putting everything back together I have put a couple hundred miles on and it has not had a problem.
Hope this helps
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.