6.0 White Smoke Loosing Coolant, Oil Dripping - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-11-2014, 07:39 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
6.0 White Smoke Loosing Coolant, Oil Dripping

Hey everybody, I have a 2004 F350 with the 6.0. I am going to school in Maine and was driving on the highway when my heat stopped working. I found this weird because last month I replaced my thermostat. I shortly after noticed white smoke coming out of the exhaust pipe. I stopped and put some coolant in because I noticed it was low. The heat continued to not work and soon enough there was white smoke coming out from the hood. From there on I shut the truck off and got it towed back to my campus to help avoid any further damage. When it rolled off the flatbed, I saw oil drippings on the deck of the tow truck. I am praying it isn't my head gasket because I am a broke college kid and hope it is only a bad oil cooler or a bad EGR cooler because I know one can lead to the other. If anyone has any insight or tests i could run or stuff I could look at that would help so much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-11-2014, 02:22 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Was it black oil or an oily substance like regular power steering fluid. The coolant used looks oily when drips sometimes. You could have blown an egr cooler real bad and the coolant is overheating coolant coming out of degas. Is there a lot of chalky white residue on degas bottle and on engine below degas bottle?

If it were a blown head gasket that occurred that quickly and drastically I would thin you would have gotten some pretty bad missing after it happened. Honestly I have seen very few blown gaskets that put steam into exhaust that didn't have a bad miss. It's physics. If it.s blown bad enough for water to be blowing by it would only give you 0-50 psi of compression....... Not enough for ignition.

Also, not many head gaskets cause oil to blow out. I could be wrong, but that is my initial analysis.

I would look to see if you can see where water is leaking. If you can't find it I would then pull the egr valve and look at the valve and see if it has black gooey or moist carbon on it. Then shine a light down there and see if there is any standing coolant or moisture at the bottom of where the egr valve goes. The carbon down there should be dry in there. Start there and let us know what you see.

Last edited by divotf15; 02-11-2014 at 02:31 PM.
Old 02-11-2014, 05:45 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I am pretty sure it was oil, I had it on my fingers. And the degas bottle did not have too much residue on it. It would make sense for my EGR cooler to go because I did not notice any dramatic changes in the trucks performance. Only the white smoke pillowing out of the exhaust. Could the heat exchanger on my oil cooler have ruptured internally or would I have noticed a drastic change getting oil in my coolant or vice versa.
Old 02-11-2014, 06:06 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Just a word to the wise.... Do the oil cooler while you do the egr cooler. It is probably clogged. I didn't take the advise of others and got to do my head gaskets 3 weeks later!!!
Old 02-11-2014, 06:11 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by divotf15 View Post
Was it black oil or an oily substance like regular power steering fluid. The coolant used looks oily when drips sometimes. You could have blown an egr cooler real bad and the coolant is overheating coolant coming out of degas. Is there a lot of chalky white residue on degas bottle and on engine below degas bottle?

If it were a blown head gasket that occurred that quickly and drastically I would thin you would have gotten some pretty bad missing after it happened. Honestly I have seen very few blown gaskets that put steam into exhaust that didn't have a bad miss. It's physics. If it.s blown bad enough for water to be blowing by it would only give you 0-50 psi of compression....... Not enough for ignition.

Also, not many head gaskets cause oil to blow out. I could be wrong, but that is my initial analysis.

I would look to see if you can see where water is leaking. If you can't find it I would then pull the egr valve and look at the valve and see if it has black gooey or moist carbon on it. Then shine a light down there and see if there is any standing coolant or moisture at the bottom of where the egr valve goes. The carbon down there should be dry in there. Start there and let us know what you see.
DIVOTF15 is right. It will miss really bad when the head gaskets go!
Old 02-11-2014, 06:46 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks for that! I was thinking about doing it while I will already have my intake and EGR off it is right there but after hearing that I will definitely do the oil cooler!
Old 02-11-2014, 06:51 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Any advice while doing the EGR and oil cooler? And About how long of a job were they? Again thanks a lot y'all sure helped out.
Old 02-11-2014, 07:02 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Take your time and keep it clean. Here is a great video of the oil cooler replacement.
It took me about 5 hrs to complete. Now that I have done it I think I could do it in 2 or 3.
good luck
Old 02-12-2014, 02:53 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

It's not hard just time consuming. Don't round off the turbo mount bolts. Make sure you are using a six point socket. Remove the oil filter stand pipe. It's easy to break off when you remove the intake. Also, if you take the time to clean the oil cooler housing, make sure you don't knock out the blind nut and leave it out.....it requires you to take everything apart once you get the engine together. I know from first hand knowledge.

Took us six hours the first time plus another two to fix my mistake
Old 02-12-2014, 10:11 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Great, thanks! And is the truck driveable for like a quarter mile just to get it to a friends garage?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.