Turbo won't learn - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-17-2014, 07:57 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Turbo won't learn

We recently put a new reman engine in a 2003 f350 with the 6.0L. we installed a reman turbo, a new injector on cyl 1, new glow plugs, new high pressure oil pump, new IPR solonoid, new fan clutch.

the original engine spun main bearings and the truck sat for about six months. after installing the new motor it wouldn't make boost at low end. turbo was taken to a turbo shop and was replaced with a reman unit. it still doesn't create boost at low end. tried the turbo relearn procedures. took the truck to the turbo shop. they had it for several days and basically said they couldn't figure it out. we bought a ford vcm 2 and ids computer to help with the issue. we also disassembled the new turbo to make sure that it was okay. everything was good. we understand that one of the biggest issues with this problem can be exhaust leaks and there are none on this truck.(we had 4 guys looking with the inner fenders off and at the top of the engine while creating back pressure with the turbo)

the VGT learn seems to work at mid and upper end but never on the low end.
on the ids scanner the vgtlrn_ok will go to the YES parameter and at idle the VGTVP_LE stays at -1 while when it is at about 2000 RPM it will jump to 7. It should be at 6 at idle to signify the the learn process has matured.

our max boost while driving has been about 19#. there is no power until you hit about 10-15 MPH. the vehicle has about 188,000

We could use any advice or help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-17-2014, 08:25 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Are there any DTC's present?
The Following User Says Thank You to Nick-BudsDiesel For This Useful Post:
empty nest (01-25-2014)
Old 01-17-2014, 08:38 AM

Since VGT learn looks at a limited number of inputs as it goes about its process, there are a limited number of things that could be causing your system not to learn. PCM looks for changes in MAP and MAF as it positions VGT. Since your truck is inferred EP, it ignores the EP sensor completely. Verify that the air filter, and box are stock, and FORD for that matter, as some aftermarket elements will flow different. Make sure that the MAF didn't get oiled while the engine was apart. Check the Breather Tube seal to the Valve cover, as these get broken easily on teardown, and the system will never learn if that seal isn't just right. Make sure that your MAP line is clean and clamped correctly with no damage to the hose.
The Following User Says Thank You to winnersdieseltech For This Useful Post:
empty nest (01-17-2014)
Old 01-17-2014, 10:20 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

there were some glow plug codes that have gone away now that the glow plugs were replaced. today we got some new codes:
B1342
U2016
C1709
C1710
P603
P1000
the check engine light is not on.
Also what is the definition of a "Hard Fault Code"

Last edited by empty nest; 01-17-2014 at 12:15 PM.
Old 01-17-2014, 12:16 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I would reset KAM and clear all codes. After that is done open data logger on IDS and make sure VGTLRN_OK and VGTVP_LE are both selected. VGTLRN_OK should say no, start vehicle and let it idle, foot off brake and let it complete the learn process. Once complete you should see a 6 under VGTVP_LE (this process could take up to 10 minutes) if it fails to learn start with MAP sensors and lines like winnersdieseltech suggested.
The Following User Says Thank You to Nick-BudsDiesel For This Useful Post:
empty nest (01-17-2014)
Old 01-17-2014, 12:37 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by winnersdieseltech View Post
Since VGT learn looks at a limited number of inputs as it goes about its process, there are a limited number of things that could be causing your system not to learn. PCM looks for changes in MAP and MAF as it positions VGT. Since your truck is inferred EP, it ignores the EP sensor completely. Verify that the air filter, and box are stock, and FORD for that matter, as some aftermarket elements will flow different. Make sure that the MAF didn't get oiled while the engine was apart. Check the Breather Tube seal to the Valve cover, as these get broken easily on teardown, and the system will never learn if that seal isn't just right. Make sure that your MAP line is clean and clamped correctly with no damage to the hose.
Thank you for the suggestions. For a time we had an aftermarket air filter box but we changed it back a while ago. we did not have a factory air filter in and have ordered one to see if that will help. the map line is new with the new engine and it is still clean. the breather tube seal broke but it was siliconed to the valve cover and has a good seal. we found that the hose is spongy and have ordered a new one with a new elbow.
Old 01-24-2014, 10:11 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks for the suggestions on my turbo relearn problem. However I am still having problems getting the VGTVP_LE to go to a 6 or higher at idle. It seems to keep going up with everything I have changed, while driving it goes to a 12, but I guess that doesn't really matter if I can't get the 6 at idle. I replaced the air filter with a new one from Ford, I also replaced the breather tube that goes from the drivers side valve cover to the bottom of the air intake tube, the elbow connector was broke and the hose was a little soft, I had silicon-ed it in place. I went ahead and replaced it, should I silicone that fitting into the valve cover as well to ensure a good seal? From previous comments from the forum it sound like it is quit critical. After that I put on a new MAP sensor, it has a new hose coming from the intake manifold and I can see daylight through it. I checked the fitting at the intake manifold with a small drill bit to make sure is was not obstructed. I replaced the MAF sensor & installed a new EGR valve. I had noticed on the computer screen that once in awhile the EGRDC would be reading aprox. 23% at idle, however I never did see that when it was actually in the learn mode. I understand that there can't be any hard fault DTCs present. I am not sure what is considered a hard fault? I have tried clearing the codes prior to the relearn. The codes that are currently in are as follows: P0500 VSS sensor circuit fault, B1342 ECU internal fault, U2016 Overhead trip computer link circuit failure, P1000 Check of all systems is not complete since last memory clear. There has been a couple of other codes that keep coming back, but are not present at this time, they are C1709, C1710 both have to do with the rear sensors in the bumper, P0603 it seems like this was a power interruption having to do with the batteries being disconnected.The check engine light is not on. I know that there can be exhaust leaks that can cause turbo relearn problems, but I have been over the exhaust several times and I have smoke tested also. I have the inner fenders removed trying to find exhaust leaks. Any more ideas would be very welcome.

Thanks for your comments and suggestions, Empty Nest
Old 01-24-2014, 05:40 PM

What gets my attention is the Vss code, as it is a P code, and PCM needs to know that the truck is NOT moving while learn is happening. You may want to iron that out, clear KAM, and retest.
empty nest (01-25-2014)
Old 01-24-2014, 05:43 PM

And yes, any intake air leak will be an issue. My last ditch solution to this has always been to write PCM to a 2004-2005. Then inferred is gone.
empty nest (01-25-2014)
Old 01-24-2014, 05:51 PM

According to Fomoco engineering the following MUST be present for learn to mature: RPM 570-780. Engine Oil Temp 120-250F. VSS less than 2 mph (this is why you are having problems) APP 1.5% OR less. EGRVP 1.2V or less. Hope this gets you fixed up.
empty nest (01-25-2014)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.