02 7.3, GPR stuck closed, competely killed batteries??? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-13-2014, 12:03 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
02 7.3, GPR stuck closed, competely killed batteries???

was leaving work and the truck was completely dead...I mean no power at all, even the little LED on my electric brakes was off......

tried jumping it off and it could only make the dash lights barely come on, pulled around to a bay and hooked up a heavy duty start/charger and there was hardly any indication that the batteries were taking a charge, so we hooked up one of those carry around 750 amp boosters on the second battery.....my buddy noticed smoke coming off the glow plug side of the gpr...and this was with the key off!!!!!!!...I reached over and touched the GPR and it was smoking *** hot.....and the bolts on the top of the relay were super super hot.....so I could only assume that the rely has stuck closed...I disconnected the battery side of the relay and the batteries stopped showing a discharge and I was immediately able to jump the truck off......

has anybody ever heard of the GPR relay sticking closed ???? what damage may have been done to the 8 brand new ZD-11 glow plugs that I had put in less than a month ago????...

I have been chasing down a cold weather hard start situation, started with the glow plugs, 275000 miles, I had tested the relay prior, but apparently the relay may have been hit or miss....

how bad can this be????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-13-2014, 12:06 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

yes it can happen, and i'd ohm out the gp's to double check them...this is where a stancore/snow plow one comes in handy they (I've herd) are more weather/water resistant...oh and to make you feel better, it prolly took out both batt's when that happened
Old 01-13-2014, 01:47 PM

hope the batteries aren't toasted,,,they are only about 8 months old...have a new western snowplow relay on the way....tired of the ford GPR acting up every 1 or 2 years
Old 01-14-2014, 02:12 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Excellent choice changing relays. May want to check your battery connections as well. The highest voltage draw in the truck is the glow plugs. If the battery voltage is low, or there is a corroded connection someplace, the relays will see higher amperage than they should which causes the contacts in the relay to carbon up and stick.

Hope this helps,

Chuck
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.