Instantly no low pressure oil - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-30-2008, 02:13 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Instantly no low pressure oil

Ok I hope by via the internet someone out there can help me.
I have talked to many mechanics my area and they all must be part installers because I get a different list of parts to replace in an order when each one doesnt fix the problem.
The truck ran fine, turned off, started and died, no start after that and the oil gauge never moves. It had a code P1212 so I started by installing a pressure gauge in the pressure switch on top of the resevor. No pressure, installed a pressure gauge at the plug above the oil filter, no pressure, turned the engine over and oil will slowly run out the plug hole at the filter but it doesnt fill the HP resevor.
So I am here, no start and no low pressure oil. What is causing this issue to happen instantly?
99' F450 4x4, 7.3 Intercooled, Manual trans, built date of 10/99 136,412miles.
Help me if you can, that truck is my way of life, no food on the table when it doenst run.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-30-2008, 03:03 PM
Mod Newbie

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpms View Post
Ok I hope by via the internet someone out there can help me.
I have talked to many mechanics my area and they all must be part installers because I get a different list of parts to replace in an order when each one doesnt fix the problem.
The truck ran fine, turned off, started and died, no start after that and the oil gauge never moves. It had a code P1212 so I started by installing a pressure gauge in the pressure switch on top of the resevor. No pressure, installed a pressure gauge at the plug above the oil filter, no pressure, turned the engine over and oil will slowly run out the plug hole at the filter but it doesnt fill the HP resevor.
So I am here, no start and no low pressure oil. What is causing this issue to happen instantly?
99' F450 4x4, 7.3 Intercooled, Manual trans, built date of 10/99 136,412miles.
Help me if you can, that truck is my way of life, no food on the table when it doenst run.
Sounds to me like the HPOP is bad. Someone will be a long shortly but heres a for ya. Hope you get it fixed.
Old 09-30-2008, 03:31 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

I'm no powerstroke mechanic but I'll take a stab anyway, sounds like you have a problem with your low pressure oil pump, I belive it supplies oil to the high pressure oil pump reservoir.

how's the oil level and quality ? reason I ask, alot of drivability problems arise from low oil levels and/or foaming.

here's a bump for ya anyway
Old 09-30-2008, 07:30 PM

Well I think I have a cracked pickup tube from the way it acts. All the messing around with it I dont know if I fixed it or not. I installed a new IPR valve, changed the filter and oil, checked the bypass and pickup screen, they appear to be ok. Primed the HP resevior, got it started with oil pressure. drove it 2 miles, engine sounds different and has alittle more power, but loads up very badly on fuel if you just rev it up sitting still. It will start but is slow to pick up oil on the low side yet, I did overfill it by a quart and half, due to priming the HP resevior. My fault not thinking ahead.

The engine acts very strange to me, maybe its right now and I am use to it being wrong, does the oil pressure gauge normally read pressure after it starts or before it starts up?????

Also, can you do an inframe oil pan removal or do you have to pull the engine completely out?? So I can get to the pickup tube.

For the near time I guess if it starts in the morning I will go to work, thanks for your help and let me know about the above questions I still am pondering.
Old 09-30-2008, 07:33 PM

Send a message via AIM to troid123
Old 09-30-2008, 07:46 PM

Send a message via AIM to tonypagnano
the gauge should read oil pressure no more than 3-5 seconds after the motor starts, and unfortunately i think us 7.3 guys have to pull the motor to drop the pan....
Old 10-01-2008, 04:45 AM

Well it started this morning, it is about 3-5secs after the truck fired up that oil pressure shown on the gauge. I guess I will try it and see if it makes it through the day.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.