6.0 help needed - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-09-2008, 06:25 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
6.0 help needed

hello, as you can see, im new to this site. i am a mechanic at a small local garage in lewisberry, pa. a customer brought us an 07 f450 with a 6.0 with 27,000 miles on it and its a no start. we found that the injector pump isnt seeing oil pressure from the lower pump. if you take off the oil filter cap and dump oil in it and crank it real quick, it will fire for 2-3 revolutions and then shut down. we first took off the oil pan to make sure the pick-up wasnt broke or clogged, but everything looked brand new. we also already replaced two of the oil valves, (the one plunger style one with a spring and plug right under where the crank snout comes out of the front cover, and the one in the bottom oil filter housing) and still no luck. we also already replaced the lower pump itself (the one that runs right off the front of the crank). now today, we tried the old trick of overfilling the oil to try to get the pump working/making suction. after adding about 5 more gallong (making a total of about 9 gallons of oil) in the engine, it started and ran, and actually had good oil pressure on the gauge. so we figured maybe there was just an air bubble somewhere that we got ran out. so we drainged all the oil back out and filled it to the proper 4 gallon level with new stuff, cranked it and nothing happened. so somehow, raising the oil level is getting oil somewhere that its not getting with the pump and allowing it to run. is there common problem, maybe another oil control valve or something that im not seeing? right now, any advice or input would be appreciated. we're stumped and fresh out of ideas
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-09-2008, 06:27 PM
Jon

!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABCautoII View Post
hello, as you can see, im new to this site. i am a mechanic at a small local garage in lewisberry, pa. a customer brought us an 07 f450 with a 6.0 with 27,000 miles on it and its a no start. we found that the injector pump isnt seeing oil pressure from the lower pump. if you take off the oil filter cap and dump oil in it and crank it real quick, it will fire for 2-3 revolutions and then shut down. we first took off the oil pan to make sure the pick-up wasnt broke or clogged, but everything looked brand new. we also already replaced two of the oil valves, (the one plunger style one with a spring and plug right under where the crank snout comes out of the front cover, and the one in the bottom oil filter housing) and still no luck. we also already replaced the lower pump itself (the one that runs right off the front of the crank). now today, we tried the old trick of overfilling the oil to try to get the pump working/making suction. after adding about 5 more gallong (making a total of about 9 gallons of oil) in the engine, it started and ran, and actually had good oil pressure on the gauge. so we figured maybe there was just an air bubble somewhere that we got ran out. so we drainged all the oil back out and filled it to the proper 4 gallon level with new stuff, cranked it and nothing happened. so somehow, raising the oil level is getting oil somewhere that its not getting with the pump and allowing it to run. is there common problem, maybe another oil control valve or something that im not seeing? right now, any advice or input would be appreciated. we're stumped and fresh out of ideas
Oh my god, first off why is a truck under warrenty not at the dealer and what codes do you have?
Old 09-09-2008, 06:29 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
not much help here, but why didn't he just take it to a dealer where he would have it done under warranty??
these engines have a 100k warranty out the door???
Old 09-09-2008, 06:32 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

its a business's truck that we do all the work for. i dont know what kind of warrenty they came with and if its still under it or not. that was my first question too, but if they want to pay us for it, im not going to argue with them. as for the codes, im not sure if there even are any codes. its been me and another guy working on it. ill have to check tomarrow to see if any codes have been retrieved
Old 09-09-2008, 06:33 PM
Jon

Well

Quote:
its a business's truck that we do all the work for. i dont know what kind of warrenty they came with and if its still under it or not. that was my first question too, but if they want to pay us for it, im not going to argue with them. as for the codes, im not sure if there even are any codes. its been me and another guy working on it. ill have to check tomarrow to see if any codes have been retrieved
Lets put it to you like this, its got a 5 year 100,000 mile powertrain warrenty and if you have no clue about working on a 6.0 your in for a treat. Dont you usually check codes before you do anything to a vehicle? Especially for a no start?
Old 09-09-2008, 06:33 PM
Almostdunfukinwidit

Send a message via Yahoo to Dave
Quote:
Yeah hes got a 5yr/100k engine warranty. If it was me i would send him to the dealer. Without codes your just guessing at it with that truck
Old 09-09-2008, 06:35 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

btw, the business is Brickman Landscaping. they are a nation wide company so alot of you have probably seen their brown and tan f450's around. they are the second biggest buyer of for trucks in the nation. from what i understand, ford has a different (shorter milage and time) warrenty for them because its a business and because they know how people beat the trucks
Old 09-09-2008, 06:39 PM
Jon

Hmmm

Quote:
btw, the business is Brickman Landscaping. they are a nation wide company so alot of you have probably seen their brown and tan f450's around. they are the second biggest buyer of for trucks in the nation. from what i understand, ford has a different (shorter milage and time) warrenty for them because its a business and because they know how people beat the trucks
Coming from a dealership I've never heard that.
Old 09-09-2008, 06:39 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

the other guy has been doin most of the work on it. he basically explained to me the situation with it. ive just been giving a hand here and there when needed. thats why i dont know about the codes. im sure there are tons, i just forgot to ask what they were. im just trying to help him out by asking you guys for some advice. i figured there would have to be at least a couple ford techs on a site like this
Old 09-09-2008, 06:41 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon View Post
Coming from a dealership I've never heard that.

dont hold me to that, thats just what i heard. none the less, they brought the truck to us and asked us to fix it, so thats what we're trying to do. if noone else has any ideas as to what it could be, we will tell them they have to take it to the dealership
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.