rough running after new o rings and more obs 7.3 - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-14-2013, 09:31 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
rough running after new o rings and more obs 7.3

ok new to forums so bare with me but thought i would try
my 96 f350 7.3 needed injector o rings and a fuel pump and when i started pulling it apart i noticed at every connection going to the valve covers the connectors were falling apart also my wiring harness going through the fuel filter canister was falling apart(it had been leaking fuel on the wires for a while) also the orange air intake boots were shot.
sooo i ordered up new intake boots from riffraff an entire new fuek filter canister with harness(motorcraft) alliant injector o rings, deisel rx glow plugs, alliant fuel pump, and whatever valve cover gaskets napa gave me and wired on the new connectors
after i did the o rings i sucked as much oil out of cylinders as i could then turned motor over by hand and it turned good. finally got truck running and drove about 50 miles running like crap whole time, no power rough idle long cranks. got home and noticed a fuel leak, i forgot to tighten a rubber fuel line. i drove it again about 5 miles truck acts the same. checked hpop and its full. do you think that with the fuel line leaking it pulled in air and i need to repeat the driving process? only other thing it thought was my wiring job was a fail. if i unplug any one of the four connectors going to valve covers it will die. probably left some info out... thoughts? also there is a check engine light which i figured would be on due to cranking motor over with injector/glow plug harness undone but i have hooked 2 scanners to truck and neither one is picking up a fault code

Last edited by troylj; 12-14-2013 at 10:18 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-14-2013, 11:45 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

drove it some more, still the same. i dont think there could still be any more air in the system. going to pop valve covers off and check connections. feels like its not running on all cylinders. maybe check manifolds with temp gun?
Old 12-14-2013, 07:53 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

talkin to myself here but figured id give an update. checked the plugs going to valve covers one by one unplugging them and only one didnt make a difference. so pretty sure the one closest to the turbo has a bad splice from harness to connector. i must have crimped the splice on the rubber instead of the wire itself. anyhow, im gonna ditch those crimp on splices and solder them together
Old 03-26-2014, 12:19 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

any luck with it yet
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.