1999 7.3 Powerstroke - Bleeding the fuel system?? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-30-2013, 11:01 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
1999 7.3 Powerstroke - Bleeding the fuel system??

Hey guys:

I own an F-350 with this engine and I had a fuel leak that I had a friend repair. The leak is fixed but now the truck won't start. I am wondering what has to be done to bleed the fuel system and how much it might cost if I bring it to a place to have it done.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-30-2013, 12:21 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
The electric pump will "bleed" the filter housing Very quickly - no need to do anything there, the key on for a couple of 15sec cycles will refill everything. But if the injection system actually "went dry", and you have air to the injectors it can take some time to get it all out - there's really no way to "bleed" like conventional injectors. That shouldn't prevent it from starting though, at least roughly. Might take some driving to clear it totally, but it should run.

You sure you've fixed what was wrong or maybe have another problem?

Try some starting it on WD-40 or propane or something into the intake (NOT EITHER!!!) to see if it clears.
The Following User Says Thank You to NoRalPh For This Useful Post:
jwmghf (11-30-2013)
Old 11-30-2013, 12:38 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks for your reply!!

It was running perfectly before he changed out the steel and rubber fuel lines. There were 4 that needed to be replaced. The lines were off the truck for about a month because Ford was having a hard time finding them. I will try cranking it over with some wd40. I did not try squirting anything into the intake. WD40 is safe enough to try? Also, I have propane I could get in there. Which would be better??

Thanks

Last edited by jwmghf; 11-30-2013 at 01:39 PM.
Old 11-30-2013, 04:00 PM

Doesn't really matter, both are safe to use like this (it's not like you're gonna run on it for any time) probably the WD is easier to control and it's mostly the propellent (could BE propane) it would be running on

So you never actually ran-out of fuel? This was more about maintenance?

Could this be more of a COLD Problem now that the weathers turned? You want to be sure the Glow Plug System is working right...

Troubleshooting GPR & GP's

Other common symptoms for a No Start include;

Do you get a WTS Light when you first roll-on the Key?
Is the Tach rising off the needle as you're cranking?
Is it cranking Fast Enough (won't even try to start if cranking too slow).

Last edited by NoRalPh; 11-30-2013 at 04:05 PM.
jwmghf (11-30-2013)
Old 11-30-2013, 05:19 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

That's a fact. I never ran out of fuel. I knew diesels are a pia when they run out. This was strictly a maintainence job. My glow plugs were all just replaced. I could check them out I suppose to make sure the system is all working.

I just got back from my truck. I squirt the WD-40 right down the neck of the intake. It didn't do anything. The truck just cranked over the whole time. I tried it twice. Cranking it for about a minute straight each time. I had the truck plugged in for about an hour and a half before I tried it. It was cranking very fast. Had a big battery charger with a start booster connected to one battery and another vehicle to the other. Not sure what to think?? I'll check out the thread you posted on how to check the glow plug system, but, I doubt that's the prob. The WTS Light does come on and goes off about 10-12 seconds after the keys is turned.

What do you think?? I could try the propane tomorrow. I have a torch, I could just stick it in the neck of the intake and turn on the valve. Just not sure how high to turn up the gas??? Low, med, or full... I prefer not landing in a different county

Last edited by jwmghf; 11-30-2013 at 07:40 PM.
Old 12-01-2013, 12:08 PM

If it's been plugged-in, I don't think it's a GP problem either.

Where did you spray the WD? Not into the Air Filter Snorkel - right? You took the lid off the filter housing and sprayed right into the tubing connected to the Turbo?

And Nothing Happened? No "rattle"? No change in cranking speed? No indication that it was trying to run at All?

WOW! I'm not sure where to go from there! I mean, when doing this you're bypassing So Much. You don't need a Computer, IDM, HiPres Oil System, Diesel, Any Sensors, all it should take for a diesel to do to something, to have Some Reaction, is Compression & Fuel/Air. And you gave it that!

If it ran fine before, I'm sure you've got enough compression.

I'm kinda stumped,,,, Something's Wrong but it's not adding-up either.

As for Propane (and again, I think that's the majority of what WD does for you), it's not going to Blow-Up or anything Just have somebody turn the key and increase the gas until something happens. BUT, my suggestion to try this was based on maybe getting fuel into the injection system and an aid to purging air there by saving the starter from having to do too much work. From what you describe now, that it never ran dry, this shouldn't be necessary...

Lets' go back to basics,

Warmed engine (plugged in you don't need good Plugs & Relay)
PCM is running (you get a WTS and it acts normal)
Tach rises (CPS is functioning)
Good cranking Speed (PCM is satisfied, as long as it sees ICP pressure 500psi & Voltage 10+ it should try to start)

Oil Level OK?
Plenty of fuel in the tank? (are you at 1/4 or below?)
Is there fuel in the fuel bowl now? Does it refill after cranking?
Look above the pass ft tire, you'll see a 3/8" metal tube, against the motor that ends there, it's the drain for the bowl (yellow lever you slide to the side). Get a cup, open the lever, drain the fuel bowl, look at the fuel, close the lever. Then, turn the key to the ON position (should hear the pump) for 15 secs. Drain the fuel bowl again, whaddya got?
Can you hear/feel the pump running (below the dr seat, against the framerail)
Is your truck "chipped"? If so, remove it as a Test.

Any white "smoke" (fuel vapor) at the tailpipe while cranking?
jwmghf (12-02-2013)
Old 12-02-2013, 02:22 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Nope, I stuck the WD into the air filter snorkel. I didn't know I had to spray it into the tubing in the fuel filter housing connected to the turbo. I will try that tomorrow and post back, but that sounds like the prob. You see, I learn something new every day!!!! You do mean the fuel filter housing that sits right in the middle of the top of the engine, right?? I will follow which ever line goes to the turbo.

I will post back as soon as I buy more WD and get down there.

Thanks again for all this info!!! I hope it starts tomorrow.

I will try all of this stuff below if it doesn't start but I think it will.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoRalPh View Post

Oil Level OK?
Plenty of fuel in the tank? (are you at 1/4 or below?)
Is there fuel in the fuel bowl now? Does it refill after cranking?
Look above the pass ft tire, you'll see a 3/8" metal tube, against the motor that ends there, it's the drain for the bowl (yellow lever you slide to the side). Get a cup, open the lever, drain the fuel bowl, look at the fuel, close the lever. Then, turn the key to the ON position (should hear the pump) for 15 secs. Drain the fuel bowl again, whaddya got?
Can you hear/feel the pump running (below the dr seat, against the framerail)
Is your truck "chipped"? If so, remove it as a Test.

Any white "smoke" (fuel vapor) at the tailpipe while cranking?

Last edited by jwmghf; 12-02-2013 at 03:56 PM.
Old 12-02-2013, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwmghf View Post
Nope, I stuck the WD into the air filter snorkel. I didn't know I had to spray it into the tubing in the fuel filter housing connected to the turbo.
No, No, No,,, not the Fuel Filter, the Air Filter box has a removable lid with a 3" tube into the Turbos compressor wheel. That's where I'd spray, but again, I don't think this is what's needed. The purpose was to get the engine running enough to clear the air from the injection system and I no longer think that's necessary (didn't realize it never ran out).

On another note, you think you've soaked the filter element with WD? Might want to check
jwmghf (12-02-2013)
Old 12-02-2013, 04:44 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

My air filter isn't in a box. It has a K&N air filter on it. I will give it a bath. I have the cleaning kit for it.

Ok, the truck never ran out of fuel, but I had a guy change out the 2 steel fuel lines and 2 rubber fuel lines. I'm not sure where they all run to but these were leaking diesel. They were out for about a month because Ford had to locate them(older truck). I think the steel lines run from the fuel filter bowl, but not sure about the rubber ones. So I was thinking some diesel leaked out and that's why it might need to be bled??

Any thoughts??
Old 12-02-2013, 05:00 PM

Well, on that side of Fuel Delivery, it bleeds itself easily because the return line pushes the air right back into the tank. 15secs with the key on once or twice will refill the entire system (if things are working right). A good pump and filter and you're air-free....

Check that filter housing refills right to confirm.
jwmghf (12-02-2013)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.