7.3 Rough idle and no power - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-04-2008, 02:18 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
7.3 Rough idle and no power

New to the forum, lots of great info. Here's my dire situation...I've got a 00' 7.3 that has run great until two days ago when the truck started to sputter at 1/4 tank so I fueled up to 1/2 tank and truck continued to sputter and get worse through the day. After 15 miles the truck would hardly take off from a dead stop and took miles to get up to 45 miles per hour and idles at 600 rpm's really roughly. I changed the fuel filter and dropped the tank to find a broken pickup. Replaced the pickup and truck continued to be the same. In neutral it won't rev over 2400 and now I can't get it to go up to 35 mph in a few miles and I've tried to run it for about ten miles and two hours of idling with no change. The truck seems like it has a serious air problem. I even ran the truck from a bucket of fuel with the pickup out of the tank and it made no difference. I can't find what is making the truck run so poorly and it isn't throwing any codes. Any help would be great.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-05-2008, 10:47 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

hmmmm, thats a good one. No codes at all seems wierd, but if theres no restriction in the intake or the fuel the exhaust could be restricted.
Old 08-05-2008, 09:19 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I had almost the same exact symtoms and am REALLY IN THE DARK!!!!!!!!!! problem still not solved...my codes are P1316,P0472,P0603,P0273,P1295 AND I HAVE NO IDEA WHERE TO START!!!! replaced fuel water separater filer and still does it...HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! its my 2001 7.3
Old 08-07-2008, 08:40 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

heres what those codes mean and some things to check on them
p1316- idm codes detected, pretty much replace the idm for this one
p0472- ebp sensor(exhaust back pressure) either short to the sensor or the sensor is bad
p0603- internal KAM control module error, faulty PCM or an open pin in it
P0273- Injector circuit #5 injector, replace the wiring harness and valve cover gasket for the passenger side injectors.
p1295- multiple faults for bank 1, this goes with the above so something is shorted out.

These are straight out of the PC/ED books we have at the dealership. I hope this helps.
Old 08-07-2008, 08:44 AM
ADMIN AND TECH

p1316 doesnt mean replace the idm, it means you have a short harness melted or loose under the valve cover, looks to me like cylinder 5 wiring has an open circuit , 1294 means that that side is picking up a wiring issue , bottom line is , pull the passenger valve cover off and fix your problem

p0603 tells me you have changed chip programs , or took chip out , dont sweat the ebp code
Old 08-07-2008, 10:00 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

^^^^ Check the UVCH's... Ford and or IH makes a clip to put on them that helps avoid this issue in the future.
Old 08-07-2008, 10:04 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

it really sounds like the idm to me my 01 did something similar to that and i replaced that and all was fixed
Old 08-07-2008, 01:19 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

check the wire harness under the valve covers / common problem with 7.3L / try doin a injector buzz test
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.