Never expected this so early from a new to me 2005 F250... - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-05-2013, 05:13 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Never expected this so early from a new to me 2005 F250...

Well, as the title states, it's a 2005 F250 6.0 that I bought in April of 2011 with 68,000 miles on it. Not to mention that I stole it at the price and overall condition. Everything from then up until now has been perfect. Religious care, 30,000 miles without issues, and NO major issues until now. All the way through this issue I have had ZERO signs of a check engine light or any awareness that there was a problem. I started experiencing a hard start in the morning. I was informed I had a bad alternator and 1 of 2 batteries being low. The alternator was changed, the low battery was charged overnight and everything seemed okay. In the following days I noticed the truck could be idling in park and if you gave it throttle to about 2,500 rpm it would bog down and blow white smoke but it never did this while it was driving on the highway regardless of speed. At that time we checked the FICM and it was going as low as 43 volts while running. I pulled the FICM and did the solder fix and was able to get it back to the 48 volts I was told that it needed to run at. At that point, the truck seemed to start better, however, I noticed that after it was warmed up there was a hellacious "knocking" sound that resembled the sound of a lifter from the passenger side. I took it to the dealership and they returned with the diagnosis that almost all the injectors were bad. So I am now faced with one of 3 options. I can have the dealership replace the injectors at $3000.00 and ultimately take a loss and see what else happens with this engine for the next "???" years. I can trade it in and rid myself of the problems, while taking a loss on trade in value, that has already been told to me, or I can try to fix it myself through chemical treatment (if possible) or replace all injectors. I am really at a loss. I can't believe Ford would utilize a "computer" in a vehicle that would NOT trigger a check engine light. I guess I really don't know how long this has been an issue with this truck because all the reccomendations I got from dealers was to change where I got diesel. Ford really stuck it to the customer on this one by NOT having some sort of warning system that would tell a customer to take it in for a diagnosis. The truck just turned 101,000 miles.

Last edited by rhillman75; 11-05-2013 at 05:22 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-05-2013, 05:45 PM
Serving Our Country!

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
the little i know about the 6.0 the injectors are a common problem due to the fuel pressure being to low,

if you are mechanically inclined i would look for a good used set/new set
Riffraff Diesel Performance Parts: - Alliant
(one site that sells them, not sure if they are good or not)

and do the blue spring mod
Blue Spring Mod??
Old 11-05-2013, 05:53 PM

I did the "blue" spring update this year around June. Is it possible that when I had the "re-solder" trick done that it resulted in the injector(s) failing and causing the "knocking" noise that the dealer states is cause of bad injectors? I just can't understand how this whole thing has developed and gone down this road in under a month! In the back of my mind and hear something telling me to run Rev-X or Hot Shot through it and have the FICM rebuilt to see if that corrects it before I throw in the towel and call it quits.
Old 11-05-2013, 05:57 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

First off welcome to the site and fear not....we....you can fix this. (just takes money...)
I agree with you about the lack of a real warning system or a real gauge cluster. Its pizz poor engineering on Fords part. I wonder how much money they could have saved if the truck can equipped from the factory with something.
But speaking of that if you have yet to get a monitor you gotta get that first. This is were you get to undo the engineer's mistakes. And reeley until you get one you wont have any idea whats going on with the truck.
As far as your injectors I would suggest goin the easy route first. Will it work? Who knows unless you try. I would do a oil change and run some t6 through the truck with either Rev-x or Archoil treatment. Then do the blue spring upgrade. This will insure your fuel pressure is up to specs.
I would also do a fuel filter change out and treat your fuel. I run the Archoil treatment.
Also if you have any wrench turning skills save your self the cash and do your own injectors. You might be surprised how friendly the 6.0 is to work on.
Old 11-05-2013, 06:12 PM
Premium Member

A friend of mine with an excursion had a similar issue to this.

It was the low pressure fuel pump on the frame rail - it was explained to him that the pump would not pump enough fuel, and ultimately the injectors were actually trying to 'suck' the fuel from the supply side.

Not sure if I buy it, but fits in with the above post and does make some sense. If true, I have wondered how many injectors and nozzles have been ruined due to low supply/bad pumps?

Anyone else heard of this?
Old 11-05-2013, 07:05 PM

To be quite honest, I don't know really how it came to this. All I know is that it started really hard one morning. The remote start usually started it on the 1st try EVERY morning. Then one day, it had to try 2 times to start it. Then the next day it had to try 2 times to start it. All the times it started eventually, but it ran like it was missing out. That's when I started to noticed the bog in park/idle and then white smoke when giving it throttle at 2,500 rpm. For the life of me I can't figure out why injectors would fail over a 2 week period of time, especially almost all of them! As of now, it starts better with the FICM being re-soldered and the batteries charged. The truck seems to idle okay after a few minutes of warm up. The only issue is the hellacious "lifter noise", as I call it, coming from the passenger side vavle cover, while it's idling or when driving on the highway. It jst continually sounds like a lifter tapping. The truck has always had Lucas 15w 40 Magnum oil ran through it.. The only thing I pinpoint is the FICM failing. I'm not a diesel pro by any sorts, but damn, I look at the basics... the FICM was showing showing below 48 volts and now I have "injector issues?"
Old 11-05-2013, 07:13 PM
Premium Member

Sounds funny to me too. I'd find some one at an independent shop that really knows these engines and complete set ups and ask them their opinion, or look ot over, before I replaced all the injectors and still had an issue, or ruined a new set.

Injectors should not deteriorate that fast, not without another outside issue affecting them and not a complete set all at once in that short of time. In my opinion anyway.
Old 11-05-2013, 07:19 PM

And that's why I ask you guys, the pros... There is just so much that doesn't make sense to me as to how it can go from a bad alternator, to a bad battery, to a bad FICM, to now...bad injectors! Who's to say that the FICM "re-solder" didn't work and just malfunctioned the injectors. In the dealers eye, they are doing what they do best (not all of them, but alot of them). They tell you what is bad according to their tests and go from there and leave room for further diagnostics if needed.
Old 11-05-2013, 07:27 PM

Just curiuosly, how do you add the Rev-X and/or Hot Shot in the oil as you do the oil change? What ratio should you follow?
Old 11-05-2013, 07:50 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

I'm pretty sure your bad battery starved your ficm voltage and in turn damaged your injectors..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.