urgent help please, truck died, suspect PCM - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-31-2013, 09:17 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
urgent help please, truck died, suspect PCM

Hi,

Hoping for some help. Driving the truck in my signature, it died and would not start. New batteries a month ago, new alternator six weeks ago. No recent codes or problems... has been running great.

Now, the dash displays ------------ in the green LCD, then when key on, "Check Gauges" and many lights. No clicking of relays or injectors, no fuel pump, just nothing. No crank, glow plug light and wrench light stay on.

Edge CTS cannot display any data, and SCT programmer cannot retrieve any vehicle info (no VIN, no Strategy) or codes (error message cannot read codes).

Loosened the 3 connectors at the PCM and reconnected. Disconnected negative battery cables for a minute, then reconnected. No change.

What next?

If I need a PCM, what do I need to know?

The truck had a tune installed, and I have the stock file and the tuner's file saved on my computer, but if I replace the PCM, will my SCT work with it again, or do I need to do something special with it like sending it back to SCT?

Thanks for any help.

p.s. I was supposed to be leaving tomorrow morning for a week of work :>(
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-31-2013, 09:50 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Have you covered the basics like fuses, all 4 battery connections, etc?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 10-31-2013, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sargar View Post
Have you covered the basics like fuses, all 4 battery connections, etc?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Yes, power is good, connections are tight and clean (and new batteries). Power windows, radio, lights, and alarm work (I set it off when I reconnected the batteries and opened door). Seems like PCM is not connected because no VIN communication between SCT or Edge CTS unit. Even with some power, there should be communication there.

I blew a fuse 2 weeks ago by a short in a 12v power plug in cord, and it shut down my Edge CTS because no power to the OBD II port, but changed the fuse and it came back on. Now, the CTS has power, but cannot identify the truck at all and so no gauges even come up on it after the truck died while driving it today.

I have tried to read other posts about PCM, and many have been intermittent problems, FICM related, or codes, but I can't even read FICM voltage on CTS or pull codes any more.

Thanks.

Last edited by freecanadian; 10-31-2013 at 10:11 PM.
Old 11-05-2013, 04:43 AM

Got it fixed. It was blown fuse #22 (Engine Control). Not known why it blew, but first and only time. Time to install those SmartFuse fuses that glow so it's easier than pulling every one of them to have a look.
Old 01-03-2014, 11:01 AM

update; cause of blown fuse

Hi, I thought I would update this just in case it might help anyone else. I had the truck in today for a check up, and it was found that the fan clutch is not working. The shop said this would be likely cause of blown fuse for PCM, which only happened on more time since my last post here.

It has been cool enough during the past few months that the cooling fan may not have been needed, except for the two times that the fuse blew. The fan clutch was replaced several months ago (late summer / early fall) with a near new (used) unit which apparently did not last very long.

So, now I will be looking to source a new fan clutch and get it installed.

Happy New Year to everyone on the ORG!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.