Whits end on this 7.3 start/ no start - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-26-2008, 05:30 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Whits end on this 7.3 start/ no start

Ok, I cracked a piston on my '02 7.3L. Swapped out the engine for the same. It fired up (purred very nice, but boost seemed low) I drove it about 40 miles, came home and shut it down. The next morning it ran like it had been run out of fuel, ie.. very bad! Shut it down, checked the fluids, then it would not start. 6 hours later, ran bad again. The next morning purred. I drove 100 miles, 50 with a 8K camper on it. Came home and it turned itself off like a light switch, and would crank over fine, but not restart for several hours, and bad when it did. This cycle has repeated itself several times. I have replaced in the last four days: the CPS four times, swapped out the IPR, swapped out the engine harness to the 40 pin plug, and tried different programmer settings. I disconnected and reconnected the batteries, cleaned the ground terminals that bolt to the block, checked the oil in the HPOP. There is a ton of fuel pressure at the filter/ separator. I'm just about out of ideas??? After every thing that I have done, I'm am in exactly the same spot I was in 4 days ago. PLEASE HELP 911

Need to get on the road,
Patrick
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-26-2008, 06:04 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Send a message via AIM to somebodyelse5
Dang! when i first started reading i was like, probably the cps for sure...then i was like oh dang its not! good luck!!

heres a bump for you too!
Old 07-26-2008, 06:04 PM

my brother inlaw had his 97 PSD quit on him and it ended up bieng the injector driver modjule (cant spell sorry). my be somthing to check out. hope it helps.
Old 07-26-2008, 06:18 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

That about where my thought is. I have a IDM from a pre 3/22/99 7.3L in the garage, but I'm a little scared to try it. I don't know if it's compatible with the '02 model? I would hate to burn one up. Does anyone know?
Old 07-26-2008, 07:45 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Ok, I pulled the IDM. Looks like the older spare is a part# ending in AB and the '02 ends in AD. No one has said "stop, don't do it!", so I'm going to give it a try! Wish me luck...

Patrick
Old 07-26-2008, 09:54 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Alright, The IDM swap resulted in the same issue. The truck started and purred at idle for 45 min, then shut down like I had turned the key off??? I'm out of ideas.

Yesterday I was getting a P0231 code = Fuel pump secondary circuit low.
Does anyone know the root cause of this error. Do the pumps have two cycles where one heats up and switches to a secondary then back again? It does not stall like a fuel problem, but I'm just thinking it through out loud.
Old 07-26-2008, 10:09 PM

hpop weak killing it when oil gets hot? checked the hpop psi hot?
Old 07-26-2008, 10:23 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

No, I have not checked the HPOP hot. I'm guessing that you would remove the allen plug and install a pressure gauge in it's place to do that?? I did however swap the HPOP a couple of days ago to eliminate it as a source of the problem. Same symptoms with either pump.

I was just reading about relay problems causing the P0231 error. They would not stop working until they got hot. I have a Range Rover that the AC stops blowing on when the relays get hot. It's worth taking a look at.
Old 07-27-2008, 01:23 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Ok, so after all that work, it turned out to be the Injection Control Pressure Sensor (ICP). Very easy to change. Just pop the alternator to give you some space, and pull it with a 16mm open end wrench. Keep these symptoms in mind if you ever have this come up! Thank you guys for your responses. I'm headed to Houston!

Patrick in IN
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.