Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

6l, 2004 wont rev past 2500 rpm

9K views 1 reply 1 participant last post by  mkeevo 
#1 · (Edited)
[SOLVED] 6l, 2004 wont rev past 2500 rpm

I have a 2004 F350. When the engine gets up to temp it wont rev past 2500 rpm, and sometimes 3000 rpm. I do notice a slight power loss under 2500 rpm, when its happening, but as long as it doesn't reach 2500 I can drive around just fine, even go on the highway. If I shut down the engine, and restart immediately everything seems normal, lots of power, revs normally, but the problem comes back quickly. Now when its happening, at WOT, it wont rev past 2500, and I turn the key off and on quickly it takes off, high revving, plenty of power, and because of this I think its going into "safe mode" or "limp mode", or whatever it may be. As far as I know at this point, it does not happen when the engine is cold, but living in Florida it doesn't take long to reach normal temp. Also when its doing it if im at WOT I notice some white smoke coming from the exhaust and it sometimes backfires out of the intake. I did check the entire intake system for leaks, I don't think there are any, and I also changed both fuel filters and air filter. im not really sure where to start looking, if someone can point me in the right direction that would be great

SOLVED: BAD EBP SENSOR - truck thought it was boosting 40psi

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.