Getting further up the creek Need help here - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-12-2013, 06:53 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Getting further up the creek Need help here

I posted this on another section for the 02 7.3 but it has now moved to a more 911 situation for me. Instead of regurging everything I typed over there I will provide a link to my thread for the background. It was a crappy start to now no start with what looks like massive white bong rips coming from her *** end.

I have been reading through some of the no starts and it seems like I need to order autoenginuity asap.....agree or not and where would be the best place to order from to get it on the cheap but asap as I have a very limited amount of time before my next job starts where as right now I have a lot of time everyday to work on this. Thanks!

Need some quick guidance on taking care of some of my new trucks "personality"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-12-2013, 07:56 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
I read your other thread, you're not having a No Start problem though - right?

You are concerned about a cold 5sec crank (is this your first diesel? They don't start as fast as a gas engine) and your first real cold start this morning. First thing I would to is to go over the GP & GPR Thread here -> Troubleshooting GPR & GP's

And remember you want to test Non Static voltage. That is, while the plugs have been on for a bit (10-15secs) compare the voltage on both sides of the big terminals of the GPR. There should be little loss going through it to know if it's OK.

Also, as a test, try plugging it in overnight (3hrs is really all you need though, get a timer for the Real Winter) and see how it starts. If it starts normally, as it would on a warm morning, it's an indication your problem is related to the GP System.

As for the AE, if you plan on keeping the truck and do your own work, I would highly suggest it! (instead of wasting money on sensors you don't need)
Old 10-12-2013, 08:38 AM

No, not my first diesel and not my first time in a stroker just the first one I have owned. I have some long to cranks when warm a few ok cool starts and one bad hard cold start to a culmination this morning of a no start white smoke. It has a new by previous owner GPR and plugs and the GPR is testing 12.4 on the constant hot side which is the same as the batteries going across both posts to a 11.7 or so (slight loss as you stated) on the driver terminal once the key is switched to on. This has been tested three times over the past day and a half and each time the relay switches on and stays on.

I also just got back from having the near new batteries checked just in case and both tested perfect and are Interstate 850 cca batteries.

I am concerned that on some of the warm starts it is still cranking a little longer then the other powerstrokes around me especially when considering that cold starts are crappy. I would think there has to be a common thread but I don't know hence the reason I am here.

I am going to go drain the fuel bowl and make sure it is filling fine or just connect the drain hose and open the drain valve to see if I get decent pressure and will get back but I am pretty sure this is fine as well since I just changed the filter and it primed out just fine.
Old 10-12-2013, 08:41 AM

I should add as stated in the other forum post that my warm starts have definitely gotten better since changing to rotella 5-40 synthetic and it is actually full now however there has been a couple longer ones just not nearly as frequent.
Old 10-12-2013, 09:41 AM

I need to correct my numbers on an earlier post on the GPR voltage testing...unfortunately I tested the always positive terminal before the key was switched on and did not realize I should test both in that phase as the drop may be less and it was. In the key on position it went from 12.01 to 11.88 across the relay, so I am assuming that this is an acceptable drop?
Old 10-12-2013, 09:53 AM

It is... (that was the Static-vs-Loaded measurement I was referring to)

You can diagnose a Fuel Delivery yourself, if it's about HiPres oil, it;s gonna have to wait for the AE
Old 10-12-2013, 10:05 AM

I just finished up putting a 3/8 fuel hose on the filter drain valve turned the key to on, opened up the valve and there was decent flow of fuel going into my jug, as soon as the key was turned off it slowed down to a trickle the same as when I first changed the filter and drained the bowl. There was a significant flow differential between the two making me believe there is at least good flow to the bowl at this point.

Should I check something else or is this what you are refering to?
Thanks, Travis
Old 10-12-2013, 12:18 PM

Sounds like good fuel delivery to me!

Could it be a tired Starter maybe... Cranking slower than it should and taking some extra time to build HiPres Oil? See if you can get an accurate Cranking RPM #. Should be 150-200 (under 100 and the PCM won't even trigger the IDM to fire the injectors).
Old 10-12-2013, 01:10 PM

Brand new starter and cranking strong.
Old 10-12-2013, 01:11 PM

Plugged her in for two hours, no smoke and started fine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.