Drivers side head Removal ......... - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-17-2008, 04:48 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Drivers side head Removal .........

Ok heres whats going on,

I drove my truck in to work in the morning, it drove fine no issues. I got to start it up during lunch and It starts but i hear all kinds of raquet coming from under the hood. I shut it off. I started it back up and pulled it in the shop, pop the the hood and all of a sudden the injector harness lights up like a christmas tree, wires melted etc.I shut truck of promptly.... I decide to pull valve cover cover thinking i have a harness issue, which would explaing it running like **** but not the metallic noises. I pull the valve cover and find one glow plug electrical connector and half of the glow plug just chilling under the valve cover. obviously i had a ****ty autolite glow plug(replace 1 year ago) come apart. I called a few people and they all said autolites are notorious for coming apart.I guess the glowplug arched and fried the harness. Ok heres the kicker. I thoght i might have lucked out and all i needed was 4 glow plugs, harness and valve cover gasket.......Well i went to pull what was left of that glow plug out of the head and the tip was missing. Im pretty sure it is down in the cylinder, i tried using a magnet but no luck. It is probably smashed like a pancake. I have a few questions about the head removal. I am fairly knowledgable as i am a mechanic for a living but i dont really tinker with diesels other than my own.Any tips or suggestion would be helpful...

So all i would have to remove alt, ps pump,afew brackets, pushrods ,exh. manifold, possible turbo.... let me know if im missing anything...

Do i need to get new head bolts? are these one time torquers or are the resuable?

Do u think i could possibly pull the injector in that cylinder and get the debri out?

Also do the injectors need to be removed before i pull the head?

Thanks Guys...........

Last edited by GOZAR; 06-17-2008 at 08:20 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-18-2008, 05:05 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Im gonna try to get this pulled tonight, if anyone has done this let me know. Thanks

Matt
Old 06-18-2008, 08:38 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

TTT..........................
Old 06-18-2008, 08:40 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Maybe try to vacuum the tip out?
Old 06-18-2008, 08:52 PM
Rebel

Yes injectors need to be pulled to get head off. I just redone a 6.0 You will have to remove everything you said and some. intake turbo coolant stuff. Fuel filter reservoir and move lines out of the way. I would recommended new head bolts and if your doing 1 might as well do both with new Head Gaskets and ARP studs so you only have to be there once. Its a rough job no lie but do able..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.