7.3 wont start - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-19-2013, 07:48 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
7.3 wont start

I am trying to help my brother out but am out of town so dont have the ability to hook up my AE for a couple weeks till I return. He has had previous starting issues with the truck and has gotten worse over time now it takes cranking till the batteries are almost dead to get it to start, it starts smoking white after about 20 seconds of cranking. The last time he had issues they swaped injectors with another set of used ones and replaced all glow plugs which helped with starting but still required extended cranking. They performed a compression test and dont recall exact numbers now but believe one was low 200s and rest were mid 3s.

So far he has replaced batteries, starter, icp sensor, spare IDM (previous to this the truck would set a SEL light when under acceleration but never any codes were stored), and cps. He had his edge hooked up and when cranking he gets a the ICP less/greater than expected and when cleared it comes right back when cranking.

He doesnt have the time to wait till I can get back and dont want to see him throw parts at the truck since it is a farm truck with 300k on it. My thinking is either injectors or the low compression in one cylinder causing the issues. Any advice on what he should be checking next before buying more parts, I suggested removing the valve covers with it running to watch injectors for oil. Would one cylinder with low compression cause that much of a hard start?

Could this be an issue with the IPR?

Thanks

Last edited by cory99; 09-19-2013 at 07:53 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-19-2013, 07:58 PM
Serving Our Country!

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
when was the fuel pickup last replaced? can it go below a quarter tank?

i know the pickup valve on these trucks has a check valve maybe it broke/went bad? seen a few post on it here and there, if the check valve is broke the fuel could be draining back causing air to be in the line

just a check thought, any codes before you replace anything?(oriellies will scan it for free)
Old 09-20-2013, 06:50 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Some more info he tried a new ipr today and still no changes. He did a cojpression check and all are around 300 with one being 210. I know the numbers arent great but would it be that hard to start with only one really bad hole or would it likely be injectors?
Old 09-25-2013, 07:44 PM
WNY Biodiesel Co-op

Worn injectors make for hard starts , low compression , bad glow plugs , aren't going to help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.