Engine Whistle/Screeching noise & loud Howl on 6.4 powerstroke - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-09-2013, 02:55 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Engine Whistle/Screeching noise & loud Howl on 6.4 powerstroke

I bought my 2008 F250 6.4 used with 60,000 miles on it 15 months ago. It is the first and more than likely the last Ford I will ever own, this is my final effort in fixing the pos.

Here we go:

3 months after I purchased the truck I was getting the oil changed, when the mechanic noticed I had a coolant leak. So I took it to the dealership. Ended up being the upper and lower radiator hoses leaking. Both were suppost to be replaced. The very next day I noticed antifreeze on my driveway, so I took it back to the dealership. They ended up only replacing the upper hose the mechanic failed to change the lower. They put the lower hose in and "I was good as new ready to roll" only to drive home the next afternoon and have the engine temp light come on and loss of power message soon followed. I had it towed back to the dealership. The clamp holding the lower hose to the radiator came loose causing me to lose coolant. Finally got it all fixed and went on down the road.

2 months later I noticed my truck was blowing white smoke, alot more than an average regen produces. Took it to another dealership in town, my cooler was bad, I got it back and went on with life.

4 months later I was on a job 500 miles from home, when I noticed my temp. gauge was still on cold after driving 30 minutes to location. Called up the nearest Ford dealership with an open mechanic which ended up being 80 miles away. Ends up my high temp. thermostat was bad. The dealership I went to, to have my upper and lower radiator hoses replaced put 50/50 prestone on top of the motorcraft gold that suppost to be in it. I was told the mixture contaminated the system and caused the thermostat to fail.

4 months later My truck started making a chirpping and a whistling noise while I was accelerating, and I also noticed my truck starting to drive differently when I was going through turns. It seemed like the steering wheel was being thrown the opposite way I was attempting to turn. Took it to the dealership and voiced my concerns. After 3 days I was told they could not replecate the chirpping and whistling noise I told them about. But, during the drive diagnostics they found my steering gear box to be the issue with my steering problem.

3 weeks later and my truck is still making the chirpping and whistling noise, and now its howling under almost no acceleration. The whistling is worse than it has been, and does it almost everytime I accelerate. I read into all the noises I was hearing and I think it might be the "Y" pipe is cracked at the back of the engine, due to my dpf filter being clogged up. Also it hesitates at take off, and sounds like crap with out going through regen,

If yall could help me out or lead me in the right direction I would greatly appreciate it. Because I'm tired of getting the run around at the dealership.

Last edited by bmtf250; 09-09-2013 at 03:01 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-09-2013, 03:16 PM
RollinEarly05...now

Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Sounds like you got screwed at the dealership. I'd be looking for another reliable mechanic, or fix the simple things your self. It definitely sounds like a leaking up pipe to be your current problem. Why was the dpf plugged without going into regeneration? Did you drive the vehicle long enough while it was in regeneration to allow a proper cleaning of the dpf filter? I'd definitely be calling the original dealership and talk to them about not fixing the truck correctly and mixing incorrect coolants. The new emissions standards are killing diesels.
Old 09-09-2013, 03:51 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Well to be honest up until I had the cooler replaced, I didn't know much about the regeneration process. I'm not sure about the dpf being clogged or not, that was my diagnosis of it after reading quite a few forums.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.