Smoking, running rough, rattle sound, now won't start - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-03-2008, 02:41 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Smoking, running rough, rattle sound, now won't start

All this started last week. It started smoking when we pulled into a gas station to top off. I filled both tanks and headed back home bc of the running rough and tons of gray smoke. The next day we checked fuel pres. Also checked to see if something had come unplugged even under the valve covers. We tried a computer, I unhooked the bully dog. Nothing fixed. So I told my father lets take it out and run the crap out of it and just see what happens. We left and it smoked so bad you couldn't see behind us. Then after several miles it got better. Then it cleared up. I put maybe 50 miles on it over the next 24 hours. The next day I leave with my boat get 3 miles down the road same problem. So I unhook the boat and carry it down the road. By the way it has plenty of power. Can't get it to go away the time. I think I heard it start to pop back through the exaust, and a sound that souned like a bad valve rattle. Truck lost a lot of power. Went about 2 miles when I made a turn it died. Will not restart. Could the rattle be a turbo? Did I blow it up? Thanks guys
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-03-2008, 04:01 AM

When my turbo went out it made tons of whiteish smoke too, but no power at all and vibrated horribly. It actually shut down too. Do you have oil coming out of the exhaust? Mine was pouring out all over the road.
Old 06-03-2008, 05:28 AM
I don't know nuttin....

this sounds like what happened to me when my #5 injector stuck and was over fueling. When you say it won't start, does it crank at all or is it locked up?
Could be a EGR valve stuck aslo.
Old 06-03-2008, 07:43 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

It spins over, but doesn't start.
Old 06-03-2008, 09:15 PM
Premium Member

Wink my two cents

I bet its the injectors,white smoke is no fuel.but to check the turbo just see how much play you have in the fan wheel,it should not hit anything or that much play at all.to check the injectors with out scan tool.take vc off and main wiring harns. make sure everything is clear from heads and plug main back in try to turn it over and have someone watching oil come out the back of injectors see if there all the same? also watch right under the hold down clamps of the injectors see if any oil come out from there.if you still dont see anything wrong check IPR and ICP valves.when was the last time you changed cam sensor.I think you,ll find it, keep kranking
Old 06-04-2008, 06:33 AM
Thats Mr. Oil Leak.....

Send a message via AIM to MrJohnWayne Send a message via MSN to MrJohnWayne Send a message via Yahoo to MrJohnWayne
Need some details about the truck... 7.3, 6.0....
Old 06-05-2008, 08:37 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Its a 1995 F-350 7.3 turbo. It only has about 90,000 on it.
Old 06-05-2008, 10:57 PM
Premium Member

Thumbs up 1995 obs

hey man,did you ever find out whats going on with your truck?sh.. ,I wish I could work on your truck for you.I have a 95 with a builted 97 motor.and 90.000 It,s ready.I would do my mods now.17degree pump,160cc injectors,TS FLIP CHIP,3 inch down pipe going to a 4 inch.rebuild turbo and a 1.0 exhaust housing, afe full flow intake,triple disc shift kit there you go 350 to 400 hp cost $2500 to 3000 and that feels real good.it even feels better when you blow away a 5.0 or give him a run for the money.if you need help pm me anytime.later

Last edited by outlawdiesel; 06-05-2008 at 11:00 PM.
Old 06-07-2008, 09:32 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Yep try your injectors first. Then try a wiggle test on the ICP, EBP and IPR sensors. If you can get the trouble codes please do so.
Old 06-08-2008, 12:16 AM
Premium Member

Thumbs up finding problems

Hey man,did you ever find that bug in your truck?well to put a scan tool on your 95 is going to be if,e most scan tools go from 96 to 07 or at lease my is like that.so, I play it by ear.if you need anything injectors,tubo,etc. I can get them and there awesome.how far did you get into it? do you have any fuel pressure ? hey did you kick the plug off the gas pedal? check it.I did one time and took two days to find it. keep me posted

pm me later

Last edited by outlawdiesel; 06-08-2008 at 12:26 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.