PSD & 2 Strokes of BAD LUCK - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-15-2008, 07:09 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
PSD & 2 Strokes of BAD LUCK

I'll be damned!! If it were'nt for bad luck, I wouldnt have any luck at all! I have 2 PSD wreckers. My 550 went down a few weeks ago with the same damn problem as my 450 did last night. Now I have no trucks at all. I have spent 4500.00 in the past month on the 550 chasing the same problem. I gave up and parked it til I got more money. Now I cant afford to fix it nor park it! I NEED HELP!!!!

Here goes: Both trucks a blowing white smoke. The 550 would puff out a bit then die going down the road. Try to start it back up and it'd be fine. No smoke,ran great. Later on, puff gray smoke, feel like you ran through a lake on the road then when you made it through, it ran fine. The last thing it started was come up to a red light, puff smoke die. Every red light or stop sign. Restart, it'd be fine til the next. The mech shop has: replaced temp sensor,ICP sensor, EBP sensor, actuator solenoid & harness, ductwork to inter cooler, wastegate actuator, 2 connectors,CPS,water/fuel seperator housing and cap,cam sensor,oil pan gasket, oil & filter. The did several diagnostics on just about everything including fuel pressure test. The emptied the fuel out of the w/f seperator and the fuel was black. They are telling me injector "O" rings and about 3k to fix!!!!!

On the 450: It blew out white smoke and ran HORRIBLE at 10 mph the whole 10 miles back home. It wont start at all today. Anyone got two matches???
Sincerely, Super FRUSTRATED!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-15-2008, 07:15 AM
Serving Our Country!

I prefer to use roads flares they burn hotter....
Old 05-15-2008, 07:25 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by A-1 COLLISION View Post
I'll be damned!! If it were'nt for bad luck, I wouldnt have any luck at all! I have 2 PSD wreckers. My 550 went down a few weeks ago with the same damn problem as my 450 did last night. Now I have no trucks at all. I have spent 4500.00 in the past month on the 550 chasing the same problem. I gave up and parked it til I got more money. Now I cant afford to fix it nor park it! I NEED HELP!!!!

Here goes: Both trucks a blowing white smoke. The 550 would puff out a bit then die going down the road. Try to start it back up and it'd be fine. No smoke,ran great. Later on, puff gray smoke, feel like you ran through a lake on the road then when you made it through, it ran fine. The last thing it started was come up to a red light, puff smoke die. Every red light or stop sign. Restart, it'd be fine til the next. The mech shop has: replaced temp sensor,ICP sensor, EBP sensor, actuator solenoid & harness, ductwork to inter cooler, wastegate actuator, 2 connectors,CPS,water/fuel seperator housing and cap,cam sensor,oil pan gasket, oil & filter. The did several diagnostics on just about everything including fuel pressure test. The emptied the fuel out of the w/f seperator and the fuel was black. They are telling me injector "O" rings and about 3k to fix!!!!!

On the 450: It blew out white smoke and ran HORRIBLE at 10 mph the whole 10 miles back home. It wont start at all today. Anyone got two matches???
Sincerely, Super FRUSTRATED!!!!
I can't help but notice that it seems like the mech shop doesn't have a clue... did they just change everything they could find and "chase" the problem like you say instead of diagnosing the problem before costing you $4500...? You say stumbling and stalling and white/grey smoke and they changed the EBP sensor but not the tube ... replaced all your intercooler pipes, ... and even got to the oil pan gasket...? That seems like a stretch to me.
Old 06-24-2008, 09:58 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

not sure on your 450 but the other one I would like to know why it costs 3k to do inj o-rings. that seems rediculously high like about 2k high at the minimum the orings cost me like 150-200 bucks and it takes about 4 or 5 hours if you havent done them before. try a new shop. I would look at the fuel in the bowl on the other truck if its black start with inj o rings
Old 06-24-2008, 10:08 PM
duct tape & zip ties

Send a message via Yahoo to bigcountrysg
Where are you located. Members here may know of an actual diesel shop to repair the problem. It sounds like the shop your going to does not know how to diagnose a problem.

Now what I suggest you do is get, scan for codes, do an injector buzz test, cylinder contribution test. All this should have been done already.

White, greyish colored smoke usually means the engine is running cold or running lean. So I would lead to an injector or possibly high pressure oil pump problem. What are the IPR readings. I had the levels that they are supposed to be but I deleted that pm. Also this color smoke is a sign of fuel starvation. Your fuel supply pump may not be working properly so you would need to check that for pressure and flow. The fuel pick up tube could be clogged. In the tank is two fuel filter screens they can get clogged up, and then cause the truck to starve for fuel. What is the gauge reading for the fuel tank level.

I would deffinately contact one of the techs on here. Scuffy, Jon, Dirk, there are more but it is so hard to remember all there names. These guys will point you in the right direction.

As I think of more things I will add to this.

Last edited by bigcountrysg; 06-24-2008 at 10:13 PM.
Old 06-24-2008, 10:13 PM
Rebel

Kinda sounds like what my truck did when the EGR cooler took a sh!t..
Old 06-24-2008, 10:15 PM
duct tape & zip ties

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powerstrokin03 View Post
Kinda sounds like what my truck did when the EGR cooler took a sh!t..
You know you bring a good point up. What year is the truck.
Old 06-24-2008, 10:16 PM
Rebel

But i can tell you i am in the same boat.. I just bought my truck in my Pic 3 weeks ago and now my trans has a big a$$ crack in the case and pisses fluid out when in gear.. And i use these truck everyday for work..
Old 06-24-2008, 10:19 PM
duct tape & zip ties

Quote:
But i can tell you i am in the same boat.. I just bought my truck in my Pic 3 weeks ago and now my trans has a big a$$ crack in the case and pisses fluid out when in gear.. And i use these truck everyday for work..

I seen that posting and I gave you my suggestions for the repair.
Old 06-24-2008, 10:21 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quote:
Time for a 7.3
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.