7.3 bottom ends - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-14-2013, 05:53 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
7.3 bottom ends

I lost the bottom end in my 2001 F350 7.3. Some where I've read that all 7.3 engines are the same in the short block and the heads, intakes, etc is all that's different but will swap over.. Does anyone know if that's true. Our local Pull A Part just got 8 7.3 ambulances I'm all with 130k to 150 on them and i can pick up an entire engine for $700.
Any help would be great. I'd really like to have my truck back on the road asap..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-14-2013, 06:32 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Yep should be the same. 700 is a good price I think. What do you need? I have parts...

Last edited by PSDTV21; 08-14-2013 at 06:36 AM.
Old 08-14-2013, 06:41 AM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Since you have your pick try to get a forged rod one.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 08-14-2013, 05:24 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks for the feed back so quick..
Not sure till I pull my engine out. But they are going to crush all the trucks next week so Ill jump on grabbing one this weekend.
I know my Intake side of turbo broke and I got trash in at least two cylinders. No real compression on them and pressure in the pan. I'm hoping both heads are good if so I have a 90mm turbo off a bus and my buddies who drift said they'd help with a custom set up with a blow off valve. I already ordered ARP studs and about to order some bigger injectors. Main thing holding me up has been a solid bottom end.

Anybody got any good direction on head gaskets and any head work to do while it's all out and apart. I'm planing on doing front and rear seals and a few other things that will be easier while engine is out. Any advice or tips are greatly appreciated.
Also heard that a 6.0 trans is a direct bolt in. Stronger and I know has one more gear. Any truth to that rumor I actually have one sitting in my shed..
Once again thanks
Old 08-14-2013, 05:31 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Use ford OEM head gaskets. No a 5r110 will not bolt right up. But a 6.0l oil cooler will bolt right up.

By the time you buy all the stuff you need to do a swap and programming your better off with a BTS or JW transmission.

Last edited by hucorey; 08-15-2013 at 05:06 AM.
Old 08-15-2013, 05:20 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks again going to pull an engine sat. Is there anything externally or in the block number or a stamp that will say if it has forged or cast rods. Not sure they are gonna let me pull oil pans just to check.. I already grabbed an oil cooler and did the swap a few years back..
Old 08-16-2013, 05:24 AM

Not sure if there is certain casting numbers that denote forged rods. My blocks have a 3 on the 94 and a 2 on the 97.
Old 08-16-2013, 06:01 AM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSDTV21 View Post
Not sure if there is certain casting numbers that denote forged rods. My blocks have a 3 on the 94 and a 2 on the 97.
Supposedly there is, but many have done the SN check and found out otherwise. You never know if the bottom was redone with/without forged rods. Best is to check from block inspection port n flash light. You don't have to drop the pan. From what I was told anyway.

Old 09-04-2013, 02:06 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks for the help I ended up with a 00 Powerstroke with 168k started up and ran after 4-5 turns. Had all the service records in the cab, oil was changed every 2500-3k miles everything looked clean so I'm gonna start pulling my engine next week and swapping out parts and doing some up grades( head gaskets, ARP studs, injectors,Stealth pump,etc).
Are the 2001 heads on my engine better/worse or is it a must change? Haven't set them side by side just trying to figure out what I have to change and which parts are better from either newer or older engine..
Old 09-04-2013, 02:50 PM

Heads are the same for both. Take your pick. If youre going to add all those up grades make sure you have forged rods or youll be replacing them as said earlier

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.