HPOP Gear Bolt fell out into engine... - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-05-2013, 12:49 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
HPOP Gear Bolt fell out into engine...

Hi guys, I have a late build '04 F350 with a 6.0. I just changed the HPOP a couple days ago and on a test drive it died 2-3 miles from home. Towed it home, determined I had no high oil pressure again, and tore it back apart. I found that the bolt that holds the drive gear fell out. My question is... What are the odds it's sitting in the oil pan? I'm not too sure of the internals, but that would make sense to me. Also wondering if I could get lucky and find it with a magnet from the top.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-05-2013, 01:11 PM
Premium Member

There is a spot in the rear cover that it will most likely fall into. You should be able to fish it out from the top.

Now the real question is why did it fall out?... Did you buy an OE pump?

The only time I have seen this happen is when the camshaft had tons of play in the block and the cam was floating. Im not sure why it caused the bolt to fall out, but I put 2 pumps in the same truck with the same results. Tore the motor down and the cam was wasted.
Old 08-05-2013, 01:43 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

It is a Borg Warner pump from O'Reillys. Also, I'm sure it is a rebuild, not a new pump. I went with that one as it had a lifetime warranty. The other one they had cost way more, and only had a one year warranty. Anyway, I'd like to think that it was just poor workmanship on their part, and never got torqued down properly. I don't even want to think about cam issues! Oh well, I guess it's time to go fishing, and not the fun kind!

For what it's worth, when the truck is running, it runs great. I run 5w40 Rotella T6 Synthetic, I use Power Service at every fill up, and am running CAT ELC coolant. It has about 160,000 mi, but I have only had it for the last 20-30 thousand, so who knows how it was taken care of before me.

Actually, the before me is what started this whole mess. Green Antifreeze. Oil filter plugged leading to EGR failure. I welded plugs into both ends of the EGR cooler, cleaned out the intake, replaced EGR cooler. Flushed out old coolant with CAT Cleaner and several rounds of distilled water, then filled with about 60/40 CAT ELC. That was a month and a half ago. The gasket under the oil cooler started to disintegrate already(also from Oriellys, really starting to question their stuff), and caused the HPOP issues. This time I replaced HPOP and IPR valve(IPR valve did come from Ford) just to be on the safe side. Thought I would be good for a while. Wrong!

Last edited by ckostac; 08-05-2013 at 02:32 PM.
Old 08-05-2013, 01:45 PM
7.3 4 Ever! Nothing else!

Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckostac View Post
It is a Borg Warner pump from O'Reillys. Also, I'm sure it is a rebuild, not a new pump. I went with that one as it had a lifetime warranty. The other one they had cost way more, and only had a one year warranty. Anyway, I'd like to think that it was just poor workmanship on their part, and never got torqued down properly. I don't even want to think about cam issues! Oh well, I guess it's time to go fishing, and not the fun kind!
OEM FTW!
Old 08-06-2013, 12:20 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Just an update - I bought one of those inspection cameras for just under $100. Worked like a charm. Took a couple minutes, but I found the bolt. Then I put on the magnet attachment, and about a minute later I had it out. Totally worth it! Plus, I didn't waste my time pulling the oil pan for nothing. Also, I returned the HPOP back to Orielly's and went and ordered one from Ford. Of course it cost a couple hundred more, but hopefully it will be worth it.
Old 08-09-2013, 07:02 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

She's all back together and running again. Hope she stays that way for a while this time!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.