Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

7.3 Exhaust Pop/Knock

5K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  alaskan155 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi guys, I've wanted a 7.3 diesel 4x4 since i was a young child and have finally gotten the opportunity in which to do so. Recently I purchased a late 99 7.3 diesel 4x4 automatic ~250,000 miles. I enjoy the the truck. However I did notice that sometimes it ail buck, just one hard jolt, usually doesn't throw a code. And whenever it does throw a code if I turn the engine off and turn it back on the code is gone. Moreso when the engine is running, both idling and driving, there is a knock/pop coming from the exhaust. The previous owner put a straight pipe mbrp exhaust on the truck. I changed the CPS and checked the ICP so I'm assuming both are fine. My next thought was maybe a bad injector so I measured driver and passenger side exhaust manifold temperatures and the driver side temperature is ~30 hotter than the passenger side. So i'm think the passenger side my have a fault injector but after individually unplugging passenger side injectors each caused a stumble, so this made me think, maybe not injectors.

I'm wondering if the popping/knocking sound i'm hearing is just he way a straight piped 7.3 sounds because I don't hear or see anything abnormal in the engine bay only heard at the exhaust. But i'm still wondering what the deal is with the exhaust manifold being two different temperatures. Also I'ld like to add that there is no smoke of any color on acceleration or idle. I also think that the previous owner had some sort of banks chip that maybe was removed prior to selling.

Any help or thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for welcoming me to the Powerstroke community.

See less See more
#5 ·
try posting a video up of the sound, can use YouTube for free,

and if your not running the AE injector in the #8 hole(long lead / DS rear) these 7.3l can sound like they are knocking(i know i installed my ae injector in the wrong hole), it causes a common sound called a 7.3 cackle,
sounds like this
http://www.thedieselstop.com/downloads/cacklestop.wav

which is normal and won't hurt the 7.3, i have heard the hutch mod will also help with it,

as for the bucking/jolting it could be another problem unrelated to the sound, but i am not sure

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.