96 F250 7.3 DI - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-09-2008, 03:19 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
96 F250 7.3 DI

Started having this problem about a month ago. Truck starts and runs for about several minutes. Shortly after getting up to traffic speed 35 or 40 mph, it stalls for 1 to 3 seconds. Then resumes running. Does that once or twice, and then it's fine. Seems to be worse when running off the front tank. I've changed the fuel filter twice. Didn't help. Ran several tanks of fuel through from different sources thinking contamination. Seems to make little difference. Any ideas? Will check fuel pressure a the filter next. Is the fuel pump suspect? Thanks.

96 F250 4WD 7.3L used mostly as a farm truck
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-09-2008, 04:22 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

First off,,,,,Second,, When was the last time you changed the CPS?? If you can check the fuel pressure when the motor is under a load,at WOT it should be in the 40 psi range somewhere and in the 60 psi range when at an idle. I'm thinking its your CPS is whats giving you the trouble though. If you need any more info,let me know,and I'll be happy to help.
Old 04-09-2008, 06:24 AM
Shade tree mechanic

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
+1 for the cps, had this happen to me, around 20 bucks to buy, you will find that alot of people on here (including me) keep a spare in the glovebox for a quick roadside fix. they go out randomly without notice. good luck, keep us updated
Old 04-09-2008, 06:33 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to demodeke18c
+2 had the same symptoms on my 95. quick easy cheap fix. good luck

95 4x2 CC LWB SW
BANKS PWRPACK
BABY SWAMP INJ
140V IDM
ATS FLYWHEEL
SOUTH BEND CON FE
AFE PRO GUARD
Old 04-09-2008, 06:36 AM
What u talkin bout willis

Send a message via AIM to REDPOWERSMOKER Send a message via Yahoo to REDPOWERSMOKER
WELCOME TO THE ORG
Old 04-09-2008, 08:22 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks

Thanks for the help. I'll give it a shot and let you know. Great truck otherwise. Had it about 8 years. Only other issue was the o-ring in the hpop. I also appreciate the welcome.
Old 04-20-2008, 04:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hokie View Post
Started having this problem about a month ago. Truck starts and runs for about several minutes. Shortly after getting up to traffic speed 35 or 40 mph, it stalls for 1 to 3 seconds. Then resumes running. Does that once or twice, and then it's fine. Seems to be worse when running off the front tank. I've changed the fuel filter twice. Didn't help. Ran several tanks of fuel through from different sources thinking contamination. Seems to make little difference. Any ideas? Will check fuel pressure a the filter next. Is the fuel pump suspect? Thanks.

96 F250 4WD 7.3L used mostly as a farm truck
Do try the Cam Sensor, but I noticed you said it seems to be worse on the Front Tank. You may have some trash in there that is restricting the fuel flow or it may be sucking air on that tank. You can get some clear hose and run about a foot or two under the hood where the fuel line goes to the filter and watch it to see if you are sucking air. My cam sensor has gone out twice, first time the engine would shut off and come right back on under a load. The second time it went out it started misfiring and blowing out grey smoke if you got in the pedal. Good luck.. Also, Welcome to the Org..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.