03 6.0 cranks no start - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-05-2006, 09:27 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
03 6.0 cranks no start

I have a small repair shop in Mobile,AL i had an 03 F250 towed in the other day with an engine cranks but no start problem.customer complained that the truck was running just fine and engine shut off..the lift pump is working pushes fuel out filter housing real good..i hooked up tha scan tool and found a code for the crank sensor(can't remember dtc#)whent into the data mode and checked for engine rpm's (ok) cleared dtc and tried to start and a new dtc came up P2291 icp circuit low so i went into the data mode and checked the pressure it did not move(0 psi) so i cleared dtc and tried to start engine (No start) so i checked the data again and pressure is still at 0.If the hpop or the ipr were not functioning properly wouldn't it have some pressure or could the crank sensor be bad and still show rpm's in the scan tool or could it be as simple as the icp sensor is bad????
any help would be greatly appreciated

thanks lanny
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-05-2006, 10:28 AM
Banned

i will respond with a more detailed report tonight, but you have a cracked branch tube or blown out quick connect fitting just on the injector side of the HPOP. Your in for some fun, trust me. I will elaborate more tonight on testing procedures
Old 10-05-2006, 11:10 AM

Well that doesn't sound good..I have worked on semi's and heavy equipment for about 16 years and light & medium diesels for about 4 of them and let me tell you that there is a BIG difference especially the way they get all that power for such a small engine but, i am learning about all of them..look forward to hearing your take on the problem
Old 10-05-2006, 07:12 PM
Banned

0psi ICP is not good. That means you have a gross leak somewere. The first thing to do is get the turbo off the beast to make diag easier. Its probably gonna have to come off for repair anyway.

Run a cylender contribution test to see if you can pick anything up with an injector. If you do, stopp and let me know, if not follow the below, you will need to very, very carefully remove the oil rails and inspect the snap rings on the top of the injectors where the rail plug in for one that is blown out

Next, command the IPR all the way shut. Pull the allen head plug off the top of the high pressure oil pump cover and apply air with a rubber head airgun to the system and listen.......for any sign of an air leak. if you can hear it but it isnt obvious, take the high pressure oil pump cover off and the valve covers off. now you will add air at the top of the hp oil pump. Listen for the leak and also carefully watch for any mist from oil escaping. Look carefully at the black quick connect fitting on the other side of the HPOP. Look for any teflon sticking out of it. Once you have the leak pinpointed, let me know and i will help further
Old 10-18-2006, 09:45 AM

ok i finally got time to get back on the 6.0.I pulled the oil filter out and the housing was BONE DRY!!!!!I think i might have an oil pressure regulator problem or an oil pump problem.Are there any common problems with them or the pick-up tube?? Since the engine was running fine the second before it shut off i think the regulator spring might have broken..

Looks like this could get ugly
Old 10-18-2006, 10:01 AM
Banned

WHOOOAAA....before you go any further.....

the 6.0 oil filter housing is designed to drain down any time the cap is removed......thats how its supposed to work...go with my prior reccomendations
Old 10-18-2006, 10:11 AM

when i say bone dry i mean bone dry the oil filter was not even damp
Old 10-18-2006, 07:36 PM
Banned

alright, the oil pressure switch is just in front of the turbo by where the oil tube that feeds the top of the turbo leaves the cooler. There are two sensors. One is a two wire one and one is a single wire sensor....remove the single wire sensor and install an oil pressure gauge. Measure base oil pressure there. If the filter housing wont fill, odds are you have no or VERY low base oil pressure and we need to verify this
Old 10-18-2006, 10:09 PM

10/4 i am gonna do that first thing tomorrow.any idea on the thread size?
I went ahead earlier today and checked the regulator valve and spring.the spring wasn't broken and the valve had minimal scoring(barley could see it)

I APPRECIATE ALL THE INSIGHT there is verry little info available for us independents and it's nice to have knowledgable tech's to get info from
Old 10-18-2006, 10:24 PM
Banned

i beleave the thread size is 1/8 national pipe thread.......standard pipe thread

Your welcome for the help. Just a warning..i am off and will be away for a hunting trip all next week...i leave this coming saterday.....so if you post questions, im not ignoring you..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.