Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

2006 6.0 psd wont start, cranks and cranks

1K views 5 replies 2 participants last post by  gilbert_rod 
#1 ·
It started yesterday morning when i was about to head out to work, i had about 1/8th of fuel in the morning and i attempted to turn it on, well it would just crank and crank so i thought maybe it needed more fuel. i went and got 5 more gallons and put them in, truck started but shuddered and smoked black since i had to keep my foot on the gas pedal to keep it from turning off. was able to move it out of the way in the driveway, till i got out of work to take a look at it. after work i started or attempted to start the truck, no luck. went for 5 more gallons of fuel and put them in. i kept attempting to turn on the truck and it finally started but i had to keep my foot on the pedal so it wouldnt turn off, i kept it idling at 1200 rpm, black smoke coming out and it was popping from the exhaust. once the popping stopped i let off the throttle and bam, like nothing ever happened. running normal.
went out to places truck was off at places for a good while about 3 hours at my friends house, i left and the truck turned on perfectly fine.
well this morning i go to my truck to turn it on, and to my surprised it just cranks and cranks. any help please???

#3 ·
Ive had starting issues a few times. Usually time for me to replace batteries. Same thing happened last july crank and crank with no start. Replaced batteries got it to start and it blew black smoke and stalled. Almost like I flooded it. Once I was able to get it going again, it ran great. I would say test batteries. Also could be ficm issue al well. Will also cause start problems due to injector power issues.

#4 ·
i just replaced one of the batteries with a motorcraft one a few weeks ago, brand new. ill have the older battery checked. i will let you know what happens . but i have the truck plugged up to the charger and when i do it usually starts a little easier, and its like its flooded. and i have to hold the rpms to 1200 till the popping stops.
few days back i was getting low injector circuit in all 8 injectors as well. cleared codes. havent came back up at all.

#6 ·
turned out my ficm was fried. it shorted out, for some reason it had coolant all over the inside when i opened it up. how it got there i have no idea, havent had any coolant leaks at all??? maybe previous owner? i dont know but i have ordered a new one and hopefully that will solve my problem. will keep updated

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.