Disable truck? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-26-2008, 02:33 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Disable truck?

I had someone try to steal my truck today in broad daylight and was wondering if anyone knows the best way to disable an 01 7.3 dually. I am afraid that since they failed on the first attempt they may try again and I have read that these trucks are relatively easy to steal. Any quick help would be appreciated...it took me a long time to find a 7.3 dually that was not beat and I sure would hate to lose this one to some low life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-26-2008, 02:36 PM
If it aint a CAT itsa DOG

Get custom tunes made with the no-start option.
Old 03-26-2008, 02:36 PM
a truck

If you get a ts chip and Im not sure if any other chips have this you can get a program on it that will not allow the truck to start and I would assume that someone trying to steal it would not know that you had a chip that would kill the engine on a certain setting especially if you hide the nob. So thats what I would do, its worth the couple hundred for the chip to avoid losing your truck and its a good chip for the 7.3s as well. Just my 2 cents.
Old 03-26-2008, 02:39 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Just a quick thought. Put a battery disconnect switch on it somewhere to the starter. Or sometype of switch on it the you could kill the 5V reference going to the cam sensor. Something fast and really inexpensive as compared to security systems.
Old 03-26-2008, 02:51 PM

The chip idea is great and I am planning to get one when the funds are available but I need to do something now or I may not have a truck to chip. Anything that can be unplugged or disconnected without harm? Relays, harnesses, fuses ????
Old 03-26-2008, 02:54 PM

a battery switch isnt expensive at all... and its quick
Old 03-26-2008, 03:01 PM

DP Tuner with a no start position or you can remove the switch and get the same result IRC. PM Seeya and she can tell you for sure. I gotta tell you, I know a guy that use to chop cars and if he wanted it he would have it regardless of it would start or not. Around here they have taken to stealing tailgates, we had one disappear from where I work 2 weeks ago and I make sure mine are locked at all times. You might want to look into LoJack.
Old 03-26-2008, 03:02 PM

If someone tried to steal your truck, there's a good chance that thet are watching you. So if you unhook something, it's possible they may see you do it and get some idea of what to do in order to get get it running. So a batt disconnect on the cable going from the solenoid to the starter will keep it from cranking. All you would need is a disconnect and a length of cable.Then add the security system in later when funds are more readily available. Good luck.
Old 03-26-2008, 03:07 PM
PMR = JUNK

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Jake Send a message via Yahoo to Jake
I've thought about it, couldn't you just cut the wire going from the ignition to the solenoid, and put an on off switch, then just hide the switch somewhere?
Old 03-26-2008, 03:22 PM

Which wire from the solenoid to the starter? I asume it comes from the solenoid next to the passenger side battery? There is a large red molded to a small red on the firewall solenoid, does the small red go to the solenoid on the starter?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.