7.3L PSD Injector Question - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-23-2008, 05:08 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Angry 7.3L PSD Injector Question

I am wondering if anyone knows if the change in the diesel type (LSD to ULSD) would cause damage or premature failure to the injector orings and seals? Would the ULSD dry the o-rings out and cause leaks?

My 95 PSD is running horribly bad. I was getting about 23MPG and then one day it started to have a miss and my fuel mileage went down to about 12MPG and I don't have any power, especially if under load 5K plus. I have had it tested a couple times, no codes and good contribution tests. I really think I have a injector problem but unfortunately no mechanic can tell me if that is the case.

FRUSTRATING....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-24-2008, 08:16 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Are you using any oil? Check your fuel filter for oil and see if you are low on oil. I had bad injector o-rings after the ULSD fuel change and started to burn oil. The dealer has an injector kill box that could also check for dead cylinders. If all injectors are not contributing equally it will pass the cylinder contribution test. Cylinder contribution looks primarily at large differences of cylinders relative to others. Hope this helps
Old 03-25-2008, 05:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgantt View Post
Are you using any oil? Check your fuel filter for oil and see if you are low on oil. I had bad injector o-rings after the ULSD fuel change and started to burn oil. The dealer has an injector kill box that could also check for dead cylinders. If all injectors are not contributing equally it will pass the cylinder contribution test. Cylinder contribution looks primarily at large differences of cylinders relative to others. Hope this helps
It has never used oil but the other day I checked the oil after changing the glow plugs and I was about a half quart low. I changed the oil and have been watching it for the past week, but haven't noticed a drop in oil level. I think I just shop vac'd the half quart when changing the glow plugs. But I will keep watching it. I think the next step is going to the dealer. I have a buddy that worked there and knows the Powerstroke mechanic real well. I feel better taking it to someone I know rather than just to the dealer.
Old 03-25-2008, 05:16 AM
lifetime member

good luck with it.
Old 03-25-2008, 08:31 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

there was another thread I was reading about Sea Foam. sounds like something to consider maybe....

Sea Foam
Old 03-25-2008, 08:50 AM
Banned

SeaFoam may be worth a try, looks like you can get it at Napa.

Sea Foam
Old 03-29-2008, 07:35 PM

My '95 was leaking fuel to the point where fuel was on the ground. I changed the fuel filter/water separator and it quit leaking as bad. The leak was due to the o-ring shrinking due to the fuel change. Also, check your supply pump in the engine valley. (It's underneath the black cover on top of the engine) There is a weep hole on the bottom of the pump that leaks if the seals go. (Mine does this also, due to the fuel change) If you have fuel in the valley, more than likely that's your problem. The pump is about $150 from the dealer, but the turbo pedestal has to be removed to replace it. As for mine, the leak is annoying, but the truck runs fine and the pump isn't going to fail (just leak). Also, the seven hour labor charge is somewhat painful. Hope this helps.
Old 03-29-2008, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66Bronco View Post
My '95 was leaking fuel to the point where fuel was on the ground. I changed the fuel filter/water separator and it quit leaking as bad. The leak was due to the o-ring shrinking due to the fuel change. Also, check your supply pump in the engine valley. (It's underneath the black cover on top of the engine) There is a weep hole on the bottom of the pump that leaks if the seals go. (Mine does this also, due to the fuel change) If you have fuel in the valley, more than likely that's your problem. The pump is about $150 from the dealer, but the turbo pedestal has to be removed to replace it. As for mine, the leak is annoying, but the truck runs fine and the pump isn't going to fail (just leak). Also, the seven hour labor charge is somewhat painful. Hope this helps.
My truck was running good then I started smelling diesel and knew it was the pump. I drove it for a couple months since it wasn't leaking on the ground and then my truck started running rough. I thought maybe I was sucking in air into the system and that was causing the missing sound. So I changed the pump. The leak from the pump went away, but the sensor just above the fuel line between the filter housing and the pump is now leaking. Unfortunately the miss is still there. I needed to change the glowplugs so I checked the injector oil spouts for oil, valve spring height, rockers, and for bent pushrods and everything looked ok. At 222,000 miles, I think I should just change the injectors and hopefully be done with the problem. I don't know though and that is my problem that is aggrivating the @#%$ out of me.
Old 03-29-2008, 09:25 PM
allergic to hot weather

Send a message via AIM to 95and05 Send a message via MSN to 95and05
my buddy just changed the injector o-rings and that fixed his problem. the o-ring kits arnt expensive and make a big difference. good luck
Old 03-30-2008, 01:35 PM

Send a message via AIM to tims02ford Send a message via Yahoo to tims02ford
hey i have been getting bad mpg and about every 3000 miles i used a qt of oil do you think my o-rings are bad its a 02 7.3

Last edited by tims02ford; 03-30-2008 at 01:49 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.