Won't start/overheating. FICM? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-13-2013, 05:33 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Won't start/overheating. FICM?

I have a 2004 Ford F250 6.0L that has been running just fine for the last few months that I've owned it. Approx 88K miles. I don't drive the truck, one of my employees drives it. Today I got a call that the truck overheated. No leaks anywhere just the needle went to red and they could smell burning coolant. There was nothing in the reservoir, so I added 3 gallons of coolant/distilled water mix. Started the truck and it seemed fine. Temp stayed near the middle of the gauge. I was then told it was hesitating yesterday and today.

Crew left and about 2 hours later, the truck won't start. Go meet up with them and the engine turns over but makes a noise like it's about to start but won't. It sounds like it's getting fuel but it just can't get going.

I should at this point go plug into the odb port and get a code but guess what the port isn't working. Neither is the cigarette lighter that is on the same fuse, really it is. Fuse was not blown. Now I can't get a code but my suspicions are the FICM just based on my past experience with my Excursion.

I need this truck running ASAP but it would probably be cheaper to replace the FICM through FICMrepair then to get the ODB port fixed to get the code. Unless it turns out it's something else. Then all I have done is spent $ on the FICM.

I need opinion's on if this sounds like FICM or is there something else they would check first.

I'm not sure how to test the FICM so let me know what you think.

Thanks in advance?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-14-2013, 10:22 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotroxs View Post
I have a 2004 Ford F250 6.0L that has been running just fine for the last few months that I've owned it. Approx 88K miles. I don't drive the truck, one of my employees drives it. Today I got a call that the truck overheated. No leaks anywhere just the needle went to red and they could smell burning coolant. There was nothing in the reservoir, so I added 3 gallons of coolant/distilled water mix. Started the truck and it seemed fine. Temp stayed near the middle of the gauge. I was then told it was hesitating yesterday and today.

Crew left and about 2 hours later, the truck won't start. Go meet up with them and the engine turns over but makes a noise like it's about to start but won't. It sounds like it's getting fuel but it just can't get going.

I should at this point go plug into the odb port and get a code but guess what the port isn't working. Neither is the cigarette lighter that is on the same fuse, really it is. Fuse was not blown. Now I can't get a code but my suspicions are the FICM just based on my past experience with my Excursion.

I need this truck running ASAP but it would probably be cheaper to replace the FICM through FICMrepair then to get the ODB port fixed to get the code. Unless it turns out it's something else. Then all I have done is spent $ on the FICM.

I need opinion's on if this sounds like FICM or is there something else they would check first.

I'm not sure how to test the FICM so let me know what you think.

Thanks in advance?

is it a late model 04 if so the icp is the first thing i would check.it is on passenger side valve cover just go un plug it.the computer will read the default which is i think 12-1300 psi and truck will start.

i got a truck in today that would not start and i spraid ether a tad "but i do not recommend you do this if you have no experience with it" and trucj started right up.the ficm was making some really slow clicks "bad ficm" and would not start the truck so i spraid ether a tad and it started.just knowing little things like this can save you when your on the side of the road.please report back your findings.
Old 06-14-2013, 10:26 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Unfortunately while looking under the truck tonight, I found coolant leaking out from around the exhaust manifold. I am now thinking blown head gasket.
Old 06-14-2013, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotroxs View Post
Unfortunately while looking under the truck tonight, I found coolant leaking out from around the exhaust manifold. I am now thinking blown head gasket.

do you have egr cooler if so it is bad and highly recommend you get the egr del with the j tube.because if your hpop ever goes bad you won't have to pull the intake or losen everything to get it out all you will have to do is remove turbo and bam remove 8 bolts and your there.let us know how it goes bud
Old 06-14-2013, 10:57 PM

also what does your degas bottle look like.does it have a white film or coolant all over it.
Old 06-15-2013, 08:34 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatbastardf350 View Post
also what does your degas bottle look like.does it have a white film or coolant all over it.
degas bottle is clean. Coolant is green and not mixed with anything.
Old 06-15-2013, 08:40 AM

There are 2 fuses for your cigarette lighters. 1 does just a power port, the other fuse does the other port plus OBDii. I had the same issue before.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 06-15-2013, 08:42 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatbastardf350 View Post
do you have egr cooler if so it is bad and highly recommend you get the egr del with the j tube.because if your hpop ever goes bad you won't have to pull the intake or losen everything to get it out all you will have to do is remove turbo and bam remove 8 bolts and your there.let us know how it goes bud
The truck is stock to the best of my knowledge. So you think the egr cooler is bad and would cause the leak and for the truck to not start? That sounds better then a head gasket. What can I do to check this?
Old 06-15-2013, 08:44 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by asian195 View Post
There are 2 fuses for your cigarette lighters. 1 does just a power port, the other fuse does the other port plus OBDii. I had the same issue before.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Turned out the fuse was completely missing. After putting it in, I still didn't get any codes except for one p2262 and then it went away and never came back. I am recharging the battery to see if I can get a code to come back up.
Old 06-16-2013, 12:29 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Just found the air outlet tube for the turbo has a 4 inch hole in it. Can this cause the truck not to start? I assume that this in no way has anything to do with the coolant leak unless someone tells me different.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.