NO BOOST - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-22-2008, 02:27 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
NO BOOST

Well I took the spyder off to clean it, and pipes and boots, ( just did ccv mod). I also wire brusher it while it was off. Now i didnt horse it but i onlt got like 3 psi of boost driving up a hill! are my boots leaking? or could it be something else? If it is a boot can you tell which side causes this?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-22-2008, 02:55 AM

What are you calling the spyder?
Old 03-22-2008, 09:36 AM

I saw it referred to as a spyder and a Y pipe i thik but its the guy with the 4 boots connected to it, bolted directly to the turbo. I'm asking kinda to make sure it is a rubber boot and that i didnt screw something up, and possibly a pipe to check first? Will I hurt anything driving like that... when i test it?
Old 03-22-2008, 01:09 PM

ok i just popped off the boots and put em back on... took down the road and got about 16psi at just over 3/4 throttle. But now it seems a little doggish at lower rpm, and it seems like it doesnt have the boost it used to... especially at lower rpm!
Could this be the case or is it just me? It would seem logical if one of the boots leaked i would be gettin the 16 psi, but i don't know could there still be a small leak?
Also is there a trick to get the boots to seal better, could I be over tightening?
Old 03-22-2008, 03:32 PM

Did you take th "Y" pipe off the turbo? If so check to make sure the o-ring seal is on the housing properly and that it did not fall off and you didn't know it. If it sounds different and not as much boost, check the o-ring seal first. And make sure to tighten the clamp on the t-housing before the boots. They seem to pull on the boots if they get tightened first.
Old 03-22-2008, 06:26 PM

I did take it off... well i took it apart again and did find some oil on the pass side tube, between the boot and the tube. I tightened it and it seems good now. Although it doesn't seem like it carries the boost and spool up wuick like it used to... I also just took her down the highway and at high speeds it would kinda buck when i let off... could that mean the wheel in my turbo is going or is that normal? That power loss thing could all be in my head too. Is it possible to have a little power loss of would it be significant or nothing?
Thanks eschaner... u always seem to be there with an answer!
Old 03-23-2008, 03:11 AM

Well you could have little power loss, depending on air flow, fuel flow(filter, pump)etc. Did you check to see if the o-ring is still in? And does it sound like it is a bit louder when you get on it? Meaning like you hear air hissing. And the bucking you feel chould be turbo surge. With the mods in your sig. it is very possible. And not sure if you thought you would notice a difference with cleaning the "y" pipe or not. Could be in your head. But if it is that noticeable, might be a problem else where. Try taking the red line that goes to the wastegate on the turbo and plugging it. Take it for a ride and see if it builts up around 22-25psi. If so you shouldn't have a problem anywhere. It will built boost faster and higher with the red line disconnected. Keep in touch.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.