2003 E450 service truck no start - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-11-2013, 10:28 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
2003 E450 service truck no start

I have a 2003 E-450, 7.3. 60,000 miles.Automatic, Serviced last week, Stock, No programmer.
Drove home fine last night and parked in the shop, I came out this morning and noticed no "wait to start" and it would not crank.
So far I've put in new CPS, cleaned PCM plug.and checked under hood connections. Checked all fuses one by one,under dash and hood, replaced the relays with another truck.
Scanner can't see PCM
I don't hear the pump.
Tack doesn't move at all
No glow plug cycling
It will try to start with a little starting fluid but just cranks over after its gone.
This truck is loaded with tools and equipment,generator ,air compressor etc
Taking it to the dealer and leaving it would be difficult with all the equipment that is bolted to it.
Any help wold be GREATLY appreciated. This truck was to be at 2 job sites today.
Randy
Mayfield Fencing

Last edited by Fence-one f250; 06-11-2013 at 01:07 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-11-2013, 01:10 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Pcm failure

Ford service guy is leaning toward PCM failure He says flash and replace it..Anyone else agree?

I need this truck running ASAP
Old 06-11-2013, 03:58 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Here's the thing though, So Many people are SURE they checked every fuse and later find they did have a blown one. It is not uncommon for the Fuel Bowl heater to short and blow fuse #30 (which also supplies pwr to the PCM). Before you call the PCM bad, I would go to the PCM connector and confirm there's power in the pins that there's supposed to be (first maybe just change every fuse that's associated with the PCM and be sure they're tight and making good connection in the fuse block)

By "doesn't crank", you mean it turns-over on the starter, but doesn't run at all - right?

Tach is not supposed to move on your truck, and be Very Careful with either, it's really bad for the engine (use WD or something safer)
Old 06-11-2013, 06:06 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks for the reply.
I checked the fuses for continuity and then for power supply. They all checked out fine. That's one of the reasons the Ford service rep was leaning toward PCM failure. As stated this truck is a E 450 and fuse #30 is for something other than the PCM. (I think it was the headlamps). The PCM and fuel bowl heater circuit have power.

The truck will attempt to run on the starter fluid but die back down after it is gone and will not attempt to run on its own. I just dust the intake as my helper spins the truck over.

I was reading in a search on this forum that the tack not moving was a indicator that the PCM was not responding to the truck. My 2002 F250 tack begins to read as I start it.

I am surprised that it would have a PCM failure with no modifications and 60,000 miles but so far I can find no other faults.
Old 06-12-2013, 05:39 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Ahhh,,, E450 I missed that

Again though, a PCM is an expensive replacement, get a wiring diagram and confirm the PCM is getting the power it should from the connector if you want to be sure. Use the Owners Manual to confirm any fuse that IS associated with it.

The whole "Tach Movement" thing has to do with how the CPS drives (kinda directly) the Instrument Cluster. The new cluster, introduced mid '01 and identified by the addition of a Trans Temp Gauge in it, doesn't get driven by the CPS in the same way. But, before that, as the Starter turned the engine over you could read the cranking rpm on the Tach. It was a good indication that the CPS was doing it job.

You do Not see cranking rpm on your '02 as you would on a 2000. The same applies to your '03.

A PCM is a hard call, except for at the dealership where they have one to "try" for a quick diagnosis
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.