Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

03 6.0 cranks but wont start

3K views 16 replies 6 participants last post by  dawg7508 
#1 ·
I went to the bank and ran fine,got back to work and it sat there maybe 3 or 4 hours. got in it to leave and just kept cranking. I thought i was out of diesel so i put 5 gallons in and still wont start. So i returned it back to stock and that didnt work.I have about 180,00 miles on it, replaced HPOP about a year ago. been running the SCT for about a month with no problems. Any ideas of what could be wrong?

#2 ·
Check fuel pressure, maybe the fuel pump went out or is weak. Or check the oil psi. Maybe the hpop went out again. I'm sure one of the techs will help ya out more than i can. Good luck.

#3 ·
Any smoke? Any CEL?

#5 ·
If you are using a cheap scanner sometimes they won;t read the codes. I just finished replacing an FICM on a truck that was parked for 4 hours then would not start. No engine light or anything but had a code P0611. Fired right up after the change out. Don't know if that's your problem but it could be. You don't want to have to buy an FICM though. They are pretty expensive. Easy to change though.

#6 ·
I used a sct and a bullydog triple dog to check for codes. I can also get snap-on code reader if i need to. But i think i already cleared the codes when i returned it back to stock. What exactly is a FCIM ,and about how much would it cost.

#7 ·
FICM Fuel injector control module. It is the big silver box on top of the driver side valve cover. It runs about 800.00 canadian. Don't know how much at an american dealer though.

#8 ·
WONT START

I WOULD PUT MY MONEY ON THE HPOP AGAIN, IF EVERYTHING IS WORKING AND NO LIGHTS ON AT DASH, IF SHE JUST CRANKS AND CRANKS, MAKE SURE FUEL IS RUNNING TO TOP FUEL FILTER ASSY. LOOSEN CAP LET DRAIN A MINUTE THEN TURN KEY TO ON , IF RESEVOIR FILLS THEN FUEL PUMP IS OK....I JUST REPLACED THE HPOP ON MY 05 F-350 100400 MILES. SOUND LIKE YOURS IS DOING THE SAME THING. MY MECH SAID IT COULD BE THE ORINGS ON THE HPOP OR THE PUMP ITSELF. MINE WAS THE LATTER OF THE TWO. GOOD LUCK:dunno::icon_ford:

#9 ·
I WOULD PUT MY MONEY ON THE HPOP AGAIN, IF EVERYTHING IS WORKING AND NO LIGHTS ON AT DASH, IF SHE JUST CRANKS AND CRANKS, MAKE SURE FUEL IS RUNNING TO TOP FUEL FILTER ASSY. LOOSEN CAP LET DRAIN A MINUTE THEN TURN KEY TO ON , IF RESEVOIR FILLS THEN FUEL PUMP IS OK....I JUST REPLACED THE HPOP ON MY 05 F-350 100400 MILES. SOUND LIKE YOURS IS DOING THE SAME THING. MY MECH SAID IT COULD BE THE ORINGS ON THE HPOP OR THE PUMP ITSELF. MINE WAS THE LATTER OF THE TWO. GOOD LUCK:dunno::icon_ford:
If it is fuel delivery problems you should get a pressure gauge on it to verify that its pumping at the correct psi. Just cause the bowl fills doesn't mean its flowing fast enough. I thought the same thing that if it filled it was good, but a tech corrected me on that. Just something to think about.:thumb:

#10 ·
Update: Sorry i have been busy, but the next morning i tried to start it, and it kick in like nothing was wrong. Its been running fine for the last 2 days. Its wierd.

#11 ·
Well,the problems back again, it started last saturday night,went to start,just kept turning over.Let it sit overnight.Sunday morning checked the air filter which wasnt bad at all,and it started and ran fine all day.Monday morning went to start and nothing.The last 5 days its been sitting in the driveway. It just turns over,it doesent sound like its trying fire at all.Changed oil filter and both fuel filters,checked all fuses and reset computer.No codes either.Iam thinking it might be glow plugs, how would i check them.Any help would be greatly appreciated,this is my daily driver.

#12 ·
Glow plugs wouldn't cause this problem; it's definitely fuel related. I would also suggest HPOP. You really should measure fuel pressure while cranking, otherwise you could be throwing parts at this problem.

#13 ·
If it does it sometimes and not others, maybe check your ICP sensor. thats injection control pressure. I personally haven't heard of it not letting the truck start, but it can cause other strange problems. Have it check if you can before replacing it though. The ICP on your 03 i think is on the back passenger side of the engine. Its kind of a PITA to get at.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.