fire truck down - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-23-2013, 01:06 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
fire truck down

My dept has a 2000 or 2001 psd crew cab 4x4 cab and chassis truck out fitted for grash and forest fire, that has been down for over a year. This is a small volenteer dept and has had a bunch if coobber wanna bes" looking at" it.
I havnt had time to mess with it myself ( been to busy working on my cummins). This is ny first week back on dept and chief has ask me to " look into it".

Ok here is what I've been told. Pump in tank has been replaced. Pump on fram below driver has been replaced. When frame pump is hot wired truck will run fine. Simple hot wire straight to battery and truck will run. Or at least idil. No on has m essed with in so long nobody can tell me what Is actually wrong with it. Some one said something about a (wet fuel injection harness plug on back of intake said it was 30 $ part.) I can't find one on rovk auto or Diesel auto power so I'm assuming that's wrong. Does this sound like a common proplem? Any thing in particular to look at when I start trying to diagnos?
What other problem do I need to look for from it sitting?
I'm ok for mechnicaly savy. My cummins is my first deisel and I know these PSD are a differnt ball game all together.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-23-2013, 03:03 AM
Serving Our Country!

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
The first issue I see is there is no in tank pump, only the one on the frame. It sounds like just a minor electrical issue. Check the basics; fuse, relay, rollover switch and the wires.
Old 05-23-2013, 05:54 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Sounds like the inertia switch behind the passenger kicker panel. You should be able to feel behind there, and there is a button that will push down if that's what's wrong.
Old 05-23-2013, 01:52 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

It is not the crash switch
Old 05-23-2013, 02:39 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

ok after talking with the cheif the basic were checked. the problem is due to a plug on a harness at the back of the engine block on the top side of the motor under the fire wall. that was the discription that i got.
Old 05-23-2013, 07:29 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Can you post a picture of the connector. The description isn't helping much.
Old 06-15-2013, 10:38 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

ok so I (and a buddy) figure out its the harness plug for the fuel cut off cylinoid. its just the plug. i need the end that plugs into the oil pressure contaner on the front of the motor. i can slice one in if anyone has one with about 3" wire on it. gona check junk yards when i have time.
Old 06-21-2013, 10:45 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Being a fire truck....who knows what was tapped into when it was outfitted with the grass rig.

Does it have an auto charge? does it have a diesel fire pump possibly tied into the factory fuel tank? before or after the pump ive seen both.

were there any emergency equiptment wiring or outfitter wiring run down the frame rail near the factory harness that could be hiding or causing chaffing against the frame? these trucks have tons of wires to run anything from generator starters, booster reels, scene lighting, 50,000 different emergency lights. in cab controlled deck guns and bumper monitors. and my experience is some companies that outfit these trucks do better then others with wiring. some are over complicated and cause issues. some are simple and keep on working.

we had a truck that gave us trouble everytime you turned the emergency lights on the factory horn would honk and the dome light would flash intermittantly on a 550 chassis.

on edit i see you found your problem

on a 7.3PSD ive never heard of a FSS. i thought that was a mechanical motor thing. but i can see an oil pressure switch if it looses pressure it kills the pump, but again that sounds like a mechanical motor set up as a PSD computer monitors that stuff and it wont run without oil anyways.

but im not up on all the 7.3 stuff as much as i need to be compared to the newer motors. its been a while since ive had one besides the IDIT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.