03 f350 psd 7.3 SCARY noises n such... - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-04-2008, 06:59 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Exclamation 03 f350 psd 7.3 SCARY noises n such...

I got the truck in oct as a b day present from my dad who was the ONLY owner before me. always ford serviced etc. 169k miles on it. my gas gauge doesn't work so i gauge my diesel upon miles driven, gas light comes on sunday afternoon i drive approx 10 miles and park it for the day, monday go to work and back truck running fine, tuesday go to work truck running fine and on my way home tonight and i'm going to get fuel. Half block from the gas station at a VERY SLIGHT up hill stop light it starts to shake. i turn down the music and it sounds kind of like it's starved for fuel. i hit the gas and it feels like a vehicle running out of fuel so i limp to the pump and throw 40 in quick just to see if it fixes it. start it, same sounds and kind of irratic "lumpy" idle persay. shut it off check oil after a about 5 minutes of rest and it's below the min line... (oil was going to be changed this friday) i pour in a few quarts to get it up there and try to start it again, this time with the hood open, and it sounds worse. almost like knock. so i shut it off and call for a tow. What could it be? PLEASE HELP!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-04-2008, 07:05 PM
Banned

do you think you actually were running it out of fuel?? If you were you could just have air in the fuel system that needs to be run out of it....they run like CRAP after they have been run out of fuel...
Old 03-04-2008, 07:06 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Change the oil first off... Any noticeable leaks?
Old 03-04-2008, 07:08 PM
duct tape & zip ties

Send a message via Yahoo to bigcountrysg
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc View Post
do you think you actually were running it out of fuel?? If you were you could just have air in the fuel system that needs to be run out of it....they run like CRAP after they have been run out of fuel...
I aggree, I have ran my truck out of fuel. It has taken up to 20 minutes of running the truck before it started running right again.
Old 03-04-2008, 07:10 PM
ADMIN AND TECH

i agree sounds like it was running out of uel, needs to be run more to push the air out , and change the oil
Old 03-04-2008, 07:14 PM
Mod Newbie

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Probably getting fuel knock. I agree with the guys here. Run the truck and change the oil and you should be fine.
Old 03-04-2008, 07:16 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

how long after a gas light do you run out typically? it sounds pretty scary so i just kept shutting it off. i definately will be changing the oil. what do you recommend? i've stood in the oil section staring at my options for hours. mobil or ford powerstroke or what? sticker says 174k or march and it's at 169k. i guess if it's something internally and i try to run it then it's gotta get fixed anyway.
Old 03-04-2008, 07:18 PM
ADMIN AND TECH

every truck is different on when it will run out , no set schedule for that ,as far as oil goes , alot of people have good luck with rotella oil,and a motorcraft filter

Last edited by SCUFFY828; 03-04-2008 at 07:39 PM.
Old 03-04-2008, 07:18 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

damn you guys are awesome. i've found a new family!!! i dont have a tow right now if something else were to go wrong but oh well i'll dress warm.
Old 03-04-2008, 07:40 PM
Mod Newbie

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
That is all have ever use Took the valve covers off my 95 powerstroke to replace glow plugs and under the valve covers, the motorloked brand new. Rotella oil rocks. (Truck had over 240,000 miles when I replaced the glow plugs.)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.