changed fuel line an wont restart - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-22-2006, 11:56 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via Yahoo to whale45714
changed fuel line an wont restart

had a fuel leak in the bottom of filter housing on my 97 7.3. put a new filter housing [bare houing used every thing else off old one ] an high psi rubber lines on to.filled the housing up with fuel.the motor hit one time like wanted to start an that was is. i put jumper cables an battery pack on to keep the power up on batterys. i know it would be hard to start . i spent 2hrs trying to get restarted . there is no smoke out of expipe the motor rolls over just fine . my neighbor said to spray it with starting fluid. i told him to go home HELP I'M HAVING POWER STROKE WITH DRAW
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-22-2006, 05:35 PM
Banned

start checking fuses....you may have a shorted fuel heater
Old 09-22-2006, 05:38 PM
7.3 tech, supporter

DO NOT USE EATHER OR ANY OTHER STARTING FLUID !!! Use some WD-40 so you don't run the risk of breaking something VERY expensive.
Old 09-23-2006, 05:13 AM

fuse

ok here i go unhooked fuel heater,opened fuel drain an let it drain it filled up again , fuse box in the dash #6aux fuel good #13eec good #17 diesel indicators good #18 rpm/speed control good now the power dist box under hood#8idm good #17 ips good #22 f heater/glow good #2relay idm replaced note the relay is the same as the horn relay an the horn relay is a lot cheaper pluged truck in an wated 2hrs still no run i did the wd-40 thing it will chug on it AN THERE IS NO WAY I WILL USE THAT OTHER JUNK OR I MAY HAVE [ EITHER/STARTING ]
Old 09-23-2006, 07:46 AM
7.3 tech, supporter

Next thing i would do was to check fuel pressure, there is a schrader valve just to the left (driver side) of the fuel filter housing. Most fuel pressure testers won't fit down in there but you can go to Lowes or Home depot and get a brass 1/4" pipe elbow and rotate the fitting so it points up, then get a pressure reading.
Old 09-23-2006, 07:53 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to tocools
The best thig to do mite be to take it to someone that works on these trucks it could caost you less in the long run
Old 09-23-2006, 09:30 AM
7.3 tech, supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tocools View Post
The best thig to do mite be to take it to someone that works on these trucks it could caost you less in the long run
A fuel pressure tester will run you about $30 at any parts store and that's about a 1/2 hour of shop rate and they are gonna bill you WAY more than that
Old 09-23-2006, 02:03 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I know this has nothing to do with the fuel, but check the oil in the HPOP reservoir. Also, does the tach move when it is turning over?
Old 09-23-2006, 05:50 PM

ok here i go; hpop reservoir is full ,there is 4volts going to inj, at val,covers when you crank. have 12.5 volts to glow plugs at covers, what psi needs to on fuel , what psi should the hpop be putting out . think i will look for a 200 psi gauge at work tonight. i have a 6000 psi gauge { bigger is not always a good thing} fuel would not move that one!!! i drained fuel out of the housing an it filled up with to 2 good cranks. the worst thing about it is i have to drive step dads ccchhheeevvvyyy hope the powerstroke is not looking
Old 09-23-2006, 05:54 PM
7.3 tech, supporter

One onther thing to check is voltage at the battery while cranking. You need to have at lease 10.5v at the battery while cranking to run the IDM. Also your RPM's need to be at least 600 to fire. Be sure to look at you oil pressure guage and make sure it's building oil pressure. If you put a pressure guage on the schrader you should be getting at least 45psi. We are gonna have to go back to the basics on this one
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.