Rough running, Chugging Engine - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-20-2006, 10:59 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Rough running, Chugging Engine

I had the fuel bowl replaced on my 2001 f250 two days ago. Since it was replaced the truck hasn't started on the first try but about once. Then today I go to leave work and the truck makes it to the end of the drive and starts loosing power and sound like a gas engine with water in the gas. I drained the fuel bowl and cranked it back up and it ran fine for about five minutes then it did it again. So I drained it one more time and hammered it down for about a mile. It has done it since but the truck is very sluggish and sounds like it is missing. Does anyone have any ideas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-29-2006, 03:55 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Right after I posted last I was on my way home and the truck started it again acting like it wasn't getting any fuel. I tried draining the fuel bowl again. The truck cranked back made it 1/4 mile and it happened again. So I drained it one more time and nursed it into a parking lot. There it died and would not crank back. I had it towed home. I was gone on my honeymoon so I had the same guy work on it. He checked all the fittings on the new bowl and they were all good. He took the fuel lines loose and they had fuel in them. Then he checked the pump it had some fuel in it but it wouldn't pickup any fuel. So he replaced the fuel pump. It cranked fine for him numerous times. I drove the truck all day yesterday and did fine. Then I got in it and started to work tonight and it started loosing power again and chugging. Luckly I was only about 100 yards from my house and got it back there. Once I got it back in the driveway on level ground it started running like a champ again. I was scared to chance it again so I had the wife to bring me to work. Any one have any ideas?
Old 09-29-2006, 10:57 PM
Premium Member

Send a message via ICQ to overl0rd Send a message via AIM to overl0rd
Judging from your first post, I'd say put a new fuel filter in it and get your fuel from a different station.
Old 09-30-2006, 12:46 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

The fuel filter has only been in for about two weeks and probably doesn't have two hundred miles on it. I am going to put some injector cleaning in it once I can get it to a fueling station to fill up.
Old 12-07-2006, 06:09 PM
Powerstroke Diesel Enthusiast

Did he measure the psi before replacing the electric fuel pump? ( Below 30-80 psi check for a stuck reg. valve, most commonly caused by debris) Did he also check the fuel regulator valve? If the valve is open then you will have low fuel pressure, if the valve is stuck closed it will cause high fuel pressure and cause the pump to fail again....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.