engine died out of fuel? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-26-2008, 05:48 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
engine died out of fuel?

I was just driving the truck home and i was heading to the gas station and the little over head consol said that i had 50 or so miles left on the tank so i thought i was good and she started to loose power and sounded like it went down to around 3 cylinders and then died. luckly my friend was behind me in his dodge so we strapped up and he towed me the the gas station and i filled her up and she light off but barley and then died. now it really doesnt even comeclose to starting. is there a way to bleed out the fuel system or do i have bigger problems? i pulled the fuel filter cap off and the bowl was about half full so with out the cap off i turned the truck to the on position and the fuel level didnt come up so im wondering if i have bigger problems. Also i have heard of the CPS doing thinks kind of like this could that be the problem? PLEASE HELP!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-26-2008, 05:53 PM

check the fuses that go to the fuel pump, if they're ok it's fuel pump time. I had the same problem after running my truck out of fuel I guess the air burnt the fuel pump up.I also had the fpr shimmed I went through 3 fuel pumps before I pulled the shim out and no other failures
Old 02-26-2008, 05:57 PM

i can here the pump come on so i dont think that the fuze is bad but i will check anyway, i also did that fpr shim about a month and a half ago. any chance you know how much the fuel pump ran you?
Old 02-26-2008, 06:01 PM

Cycle the key 5 times 30 seconds each time. Then as soon as the engine turns over bring the RPM up to 1500 and hold it there for a minute. Then drive it around and get on it. It will take about 7 miles for it to smooth out.
Old 02-26-2008, 06:05 PM

if the pump is running it may just need some time to pump up pressure like what was said above. it only runs for a few seconds at a time.
Old 02-26-2008, 06:10 PM

i have tried to cycle it a bunch of times when i was in the parking lot gas station and it never worked. i will go try it again after i eat. my friend also told me that when i was driving it right before it quit it was blowing some blue smoke.
Old 02-26-2008, 06:11 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

When I was follwoing him he was blowing a pretty good amount of blue smoke. When it started at the gas station it idled rough for about 2mins then slowly lost rpm and he gave it some throttle then let off and it died.
Old 02-26-2008, 06:14 PM

did you check the oil? if the truck gets low in oil it will not run.I had a friend that his tuck blew a couple injector o rings and ran the truck out of oil it wouldn't crank for crap until he added oil. also check the oil level in the hpop resivore. the fuel filter may be plugged up to if you had any trash in the tank, was the smoke blue or white. if it was white it may have just been trying to burn air
Old 02-26-2008, 06:17 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Thats a good idea it was knocking pretty bad at the gas station I just figured it was air in the sticks.
Old 02-26-2008, 06:28 PM

alright i just turned the key on and off 15 times and wait till the pump shut off before i tried again. it still didnt do anything its not even trying to start. the oil level is also good on the dip stick.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.