Think I fried something!!! Engine miss? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-22-2008, 12:52 PM
COME ON...ONE TIME!!

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Think I fried something!!! Engine miss?

I had to replace the alternator on my truck. When I put the new one on it, I noticed that the connector on the big 8 guage wire was cracked and broken. So I replaced it. When I hooked the batteries back up, the started solenoid on the passenger fender had some serious smoke comming from it. I unhooked the batteries and then I found the connector on the alt. was touching the housing of it, causing a short. I then saw that the big wire (assuming its the one from the alt) on the solenoid on the fender had the isulation on the wires burnt off. i repaired this, and now when I turn the key on, my GP relay make a very loud CLICK. I can even feel it if I put my finger on it. Do you think I fried it?

Also, I just put my turbo back on, and I am hearing what seems to be an exhaust leak. I cannot find one, at all. am I hearing an engine miss? I never had cranked the truck after the turbo install(just got it on today) because I had to change the Alt too. Do you think it is all the GP relay making the noise? it sounds intermittant. Is the GP relay supposed to come on after the truck is running maybe? Maybe I shorted the comntacts on the GP relay. Do you think I fried something else? Could I have fried controls that go to the injectors? whit the alt. short I had? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-22-2008, 12:54 PM
Banned

i usually do hear a click from the GPR...as long as you have voltage to both terminals your fine.....

as far as the exhaust leak....look from the botton up at the Y pipes for any soot (look over the tranny) and make sure the clamp is tight as well with no leaks
Old 02-22-2008, 01:03 PM
COME ON...ONE TIME!!

Both of the bigger wired terminals? I even looked on the up pipes, and I didnt find a leak. While I took it for a test drive I had large amounts of black smoke comming from the tail pipe, and I was in Econo mode on my chip and wasnt even half throttle. That usually is unburnt fuel, I had never had this before, of course I never had a great working turbo before. The fins of the comp wheel had damage when I bought it. I had never heard the GPR click like that before the short happenned. Thats why I thought it might be fried. I will check the voltage.
Old 02-22-2008, 02:04 PM
COME ON...ONE TIME!!

GP relay is still good. I checked it. I am still getting what seems like a miss. I am having some exhaust in the engine bay, so I am gonna look really good tommorow(after truck cools overnite) for a leak. would an exhaust leak in a diesel sound like a miss when you step on the throttle? i knwo they do in cars, just wondering about in a turbo diesel.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.