Fuel Heater Plug? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-21-2008, 05:59 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Fuel Heater Plug?

Quick rundown onto what's happening.
98 E-350 7.3
Went to Iowa to buy My truck last week, couldn't bring truck home (trailer was too short). Fuel Filter light would flicker on and off the deeper in the throttle you were, the light would stay on...
Coming into Chicago, Light came On, and Stayed on and started running like CRAP, so we find an autozone, get some tools, and a filter. What a P.I.T.A. on a Van. Get it replaced and start heading back to N.Y. about a MILE after replacing the filter, she just DIES (She was running better tho, with new filter) no warnings, no nothing, just died. I started checking fuses, and found a blown 30 amp (we don't have an owners manual, so I have NO Clue which one it was). Replaced fuse, fired right up, and away we go. Got another mile or 2, and I HEARD and SAW the fuse blow. Pulled over, and sure enough, it's blown. Put a 20 amp in it (we have NO MORE 30's), she fired up and got us back to New York. HHHUUUUHHHHHH???? oh well...
Next day, 2 fuses blew.... So I Start researching on here. and find the Fuel heater thing. So I tear BACK into the Dog House. Find the area that's being discussed, but there's TWO Wires there, fairly close to each other. One won't wiggle at all, the other will. So I Unplug the one that WILL Wiggle.
Van SEEMS to be doing fine, so it's the Heater, Right? Hold on.
We get a trailer big enough for My truck, and head back to Iowa. No problems all the way there. Get my truck loaded up, and head back home. Not even a MILE down the road, Fuse blows again. Change it, it blows as SOON as the key's turned on. About 5-10 minutes of looking at wiring diagrams, we replace fuse again, and she fires up. Get 2 or 3 miles, and blows again. We wait 5-10 minutes, replace it, and it got us ALL The way home. Park van/trailer/truck combo in my drive way and go to bed.
Got up next morning and fuse blows (it was unplugged, and it IS Pretty cold here in Western N.Y.) Popped 3 or 4 fuses and decided to plug van in. Blew 4 or 5 more fuses throughout the day and called it quits. I read the Net, Read here, then my dad found a "Ford 7.3 diesel powertrain control/emmissions diagnostics" book. I was leafing through it and I Find out I UNPLUGGED the wrong wire. I unplugged the water in fuel Wire.
Haven't LOOKED at it YET, but thinking back on it, I couldn't get the other wire to budge, let alone be able to UNplug it. How in the world am I Supposed to UNHOOK the Heater wire? Keep in mind, this is a VAN, and there's very limited space to get in there to begin with. I could just BARELY Touch those 2 wires the first time, I had to use a screwdriver to pry with to wiggle the Water in Fuel wire off. No to get it hooked back up, and Unplug the TOP Wire, not the bottom one. YYYYIIIIIKKKKKEEEEEESSSSSS....
One other thing, We've got a Scan Guage hooked up to the OBD II connector. and we've got it monitoring MAP, IAT, RPM and volts. IAT was reading pretty close to outside temp before I Unhooked the Water in fuel wire. Since then, it's been reading 58 degrees... any Ideas????

anyways, sorry this was so LONG, but i'm going NUTS with this thing...

THANKS in advance....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-21-2008, 02:10 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Talking

GOT it.... Unplugged the heater, and no more blowing fuses. That wire is really hard to pull off with Just your finger Tips.. OUCH...
Hooked heater back up, and it blew a fuse. Unplugged it, and all is good...
Now I gotta replace the heater element. Any Pointers on doing this????
It sure looks like it's gonna be a PAIN!!!!!!
But so far, she's running, so I'm sure my dad's gonna be happy...
Now I can concentrate on my New 92 F-250 .... YYYYIIIIPPPPEEEEEEEE
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.