Truck has low power, intermittent engine miss, stalls - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-16-2006, 01:21 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Truck has low power, intermittent engine miss, stalls

I had a bad fuel pump, replaced it with Car Quest version.

Now I have an intermittent problem where the truck will die, or slow down and chug, and then run normally. I get an intermittent check engine light, but no codes on the scanner when light goes out.

When the problem happens, it feels as though it's not getting any fuel. New pump, recently cleaned out gas tank and sending unit, new fuel filter, all done this weekend.

My truck does have some Banks aftermarket goodies. The pump I replaced was a Bosch. Do you think the new pump is inadequate? Could I have some re-programmed flash in my computer that requires a more robust pump?

Any ideas?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-16-2006, 02:18 PM
Jon

I have no idea what kind of truck you have.

Let us know and we will do our best.
Old 09-16-2006, 02:31 PM
International Threat

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Watch it be something simple like the CPS or ICP sensor... if it's a 7.3.

Give us some more info and we'd be able to help you out!
Old 09-16-2006, 02:37 PM
Jon

It would be awesome to hook

my fuel pressure gauge up to it, that would rule the pump out.
Old 09-16-2006, 03:09 PM

I'm leaning toward the fuel pump being inadequate.

I only changed it as a precautionary measure. Last week I had a clogged fuel filter that stalled the truck. I changed the fuel filter, and the truck ran fine. Or at least it started up and drove again. No biggie.

But I noticed it felt a bit sluggish. It just didn't have the "oomph" my truck had before.

The truck has a Banks full 4" exhast, K+N, aftermarket wastegate, etc...and who knows what other goodies. In healthy trim, it makes a lot of power, lots more than stock and is actually scary fast. My VW GTI would have a hard time outrunning my truck when it's happy.

This leads me to believe the $167 special CarQuest pump simply isn't adequate. I noticed that even at idle I can hear it straining. When the truck isn't too hot, it'll run fine. But after about twenty minutes of beating on it, it just seems to start flagging. I've also noticed that at low RPMs my torque really feels solid, but at the upper RPM ranges it seems to be tailing off--and that sounds like fuel starvation to me.

When the truck is cool, it'll start and idle like a champ, and then power progressively falls off.

With the aftermarket goodies, you have to figure I'm making a good bit more power than stock. Sounds like I need a better pump. When you change only one thing and the problem crops up...kinda leads me in that direction.

I've got no check engine light, no oil in my coolant, no coolant in my oil, no smoke from the tailpipe, a clean filter, a freshly cleaned tank, and 15 gallons of fresh from the pump fuel from a very busy gas station.

The noisy fuel pump is definitely making me think it's time for an emergency trip to the parts store...:censord:
Old 09-16-2006, 03:13 PM
Jon

You can hear the fuel pump?

Interesting!
Old 09-16-2006, 03:15 PM
Banned

your theory sounds very possible pro gun......

Have you thought about looking into the fass system with the pump?? Given your running bio and probably are plugging fuel filter up relatively fast as it is, the extra filtration and the bigger pump may be just what you need....
Old 09-16-2006, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc View Post
your theory sounds very possible pro gun......

Have you thought about looking into the fass system with the pump?? Given your running bio and probably are plugging fuel filter up relatively fast as it is, the extra filtration and the bigger pump may be just what you need....
Could be. However, right now I've pure #2 petro diesel in there. I've run out of bio, haven't had time to make any this week, and the only thing I had to fill it with after cleaning the tank was #2. So you'd think I'd at least have that base covered, unless I bought some really bad #2.

Yeah, the fuel pump is LOUD and getting louder. With the windows up and the AC on, you can hear the pump over the motor at idle. I've never been able to hear it before. With the old pump, you couldn't even hear the pump if you put your head next to it on the frame rail; with this pump, I can hear it standing ten feet away from the truck.

I think I might be answering my own question...if you believe what you read online and in the magazines, with the go fast goodies my truck has it's probably making an extra 50-75hp at least (18lbs of boost, big exhast, filter, etc) it probably needs a lot more fuel than stock and I've probably lunched this cheesy pump already.

Any recommendations for one that IS up to the task of supporting 350hp and 600+ft/lbs? I'd be much oblidged....

Old 09-16-2006, 03:29 PM
Banned

http://www.discountpowerparts.com/ca...?cPath=1_4_262
Old 09-16-2006, 03:38 PM

That doesn't look like the pump I have on my truck. Did I mention the pump in question is the in-line pump on the frame rail just forward of the tank? It's a cylinder shaped pump with input and outpot on either end.

Is that the high pressure pump that sits under the filter assembly in your link?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.