7.3L w/ 70K towed (How embarassing) - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-13-2006, 07:19 PM
Serving Our Country!

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
7.3L w/ 70K towed (How embarassing)

Well, I got beat up with the I told ya so's today. I have a 03 f250 7.3L
I turned the engine off after a smooth effortless 20 minute drive (second drive of the day)...dash said the truck was happy...and parked at the bank. I turned the engine off, did my banking, returned....turned the key and

crank,crank,crank....no start. Recycled, let it sit for a hour, everything. No dice. It went from perfect to dead. It has 70K so it is ford bound but I dont want to wait until the 25th until they look at it. Any idea's? Thanks for your help.... I am hearing the "I thought this was a bombproof truck" from everyone, so I need a solution quick.

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-13-2006, 07:23 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Send a message via AIM to purduefarmboy460
Sounds like a CPS problem, or just not getting fuel maybe

Got any codes or a way to pull them from the truck? (reseting the battery may have cleared them anyways)
Have you check the fuel filter?
Does the Tach move when you crank the engine?
Does the Oil Pressure Needle move?

More help on the way!!
Old 09-13-2006, 07:33 PM
Jon

Cam sensor.

Old 09-13-2006, 07:39 PM
Serving Our Country!

I dont recall seeing any movement on the instrument panel. They idiot lights would come on. I did see the glow plug light "flutter" and return during cranking, which it ordinarily doesn't do. I didn't disconnect....wife was pis*ed and it was 95 out. So It was towed away.

I didnt have the "tool" to check the fuel filter, and since I am not an engineer, wouldn't know what to do with it once I had it. Didnt have a code reader with me, nor did I have the book to interpret it. Tow seemed only option.
Old 09-13-2006, 07:47 PM
Banned

either a battery problem or a cam sensor would be my guess...but without further testing i cant say for sure...
Old 09-13-2006, 07:48 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Send a message via AIM to 99Smokin73Stroker Send a message via Yahoo to 99Smokin73Stroker
Did or does the truck's SES light come on at all? If you can hook up a scanner to it regardless of if it's on or not try to see if it reads any codes at all. It could be a cam sensor, that's usually the first guess in a 7.3, but there are likely other possibilities.
Old 09-14-2006, 08:59 PM
Serving Our Country!

Ended up being the CPS. I looked later....it sure is tucked in a hard to get to spot......Thanks for your help.
Old 09-14-2006, 09:13 PM
Banned

Glad you got it running...funky lookin green guy
Old 09-15-2006, 02:51 PM
7.3 tech, supporter

Glad you got it fixed man, most 7.3 guys around here (including me) keep a new CPS and the tools to change it in the truck since it's a comon problem. I would recomend as soon as you can, buy an extra and throw it in the glovebox!!
Old 09-15-2006, 11:56 PM
International Threat

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
here is a write up from one of our members, Maintain....

Aside from the grammar, I'm sure noone cares about lol, I would add that housing a 3" extention, 10mm 6pt socket on 1/4" drive in your truck with a spare CPS is the best solution. Make sure you are EXTREMELY careful because if you round the bolt off then you are opening up another can of worms. Also, apply some engine oil to the Oring with your finger when re-installing. Here is a picture of location and the part itself to help -> http://www.geocities.com/pitfool03/CPSlocandnew.JPG

There has been some quarrels as to which is better, the International "blue" CPS or the Ford "black" CPS. Many owners state that with certain mods that the blue CPS (since it slightly retards the timing) is an upgrade, but if your truck is stock or even modded, the safest way is to really go with the Ford "black" one.

Many people make the mistake of buying a CPS from a dealership at a cost of nearly $200.00. Check E-Bay first, you can usually pick one up for about 50 bucks. Part number is F7TZ-12K073-A or do a search for "FORD CPS" or Click http://search.ebay.com/search/search...bay.com%2Fws%2 F&fkr=1&from=R8&satitle=ford+CPS&category0=
Figured this would be a good time to bring this out in case others were to view this.

Last edited by Marty; 09-15-2006 at 11:59 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.