t-stat leaking - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-10-2013, 11:51 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
t-stat leaking

Just came home for lunch to trade trucks. Looks like my 2004 F-350 6.0 have a severe water leak. It looks like the pulley had wore a hole in the bottom of the t-stat housing.Does the housing come off by itself? Or is it part of the intake? Can't see how the housing could move, but maybe? If the pulley was wore it should move away from the housing due to belt tension?How hard is it to remove the housing? I'll be back later, thx in advance Jim
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-10-2013, 04:29 PM

Ok, I'm back. Motor dried off a bit, no longer hotter than the hubs of hell. Got the flashlight out, removed the belt. No longer looks like the bottom t stat housing. Must have been the fan blowing the water or the belt throwing it there. Added water (distilled) and it's dripping off the harmonic balancer. Can only be the water pump, right? So when I get time I'm tearing it apart. What else needs to be done while I'm in there? T-stat. belt, hoses.Check the idler pulley bearings. It was recently flushed. Thought while the radiator was out I would stuff the garden hose in it and see how much crap falls out. Any heater hoses nearby I should change? And am I right, must be the water pump? Dark beer for this adventure?
Old 04-11-2013, 03:26 AM

I been looking at threads on here reguarding waterpumps. It's either a 30 minute easy to do or a 4-6 hour ordeal. Guess I'll find out.
Old 04-11-2013, 06:42 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

did u find your leak??? if its leaking from ur water pump make shure ur water pump doesent have any pitting on it>.cavitation >>>>.......shouldnt b any but have seen it before.might want to change that front seal while ur there just incase. usualy recomend that to my cust here.
Old 04-12-2013, 03:44 PM

well done with the water pump. Not too bad really. Hard to believe the old one leaked that bad, while running it was like a garden hose. Even with the Deguass cap off. In 2004 they list two water pumps, the expensive one is the improved one. At least I got the better one. Replaced the t-stat while in there, what a pain, the nut didnt come out the stud did, well almost did, it hit the fuel line right above it before it came out. Creative swearing got it out and a little grinder work shortened it enough to go back easy like. Found a new Ford tool. I needed an off set cheater bar for the pipe wrench that was on the fan nut. Didn't want to use a 5 lb hammer to smite it. I have a "Hickey stick", a rebar bender. Works like a champ for an off set cheater!
Hickey Bar Hand Rebar Bender Type A30 Manual - Amazon.com Hickey Bar Hand Rebar Bender Type A30 Manual - Amazon.com
One of these. Tomorrow I change oil and filter and tranny filter. Check fluids and back to work on monday!
Old 05-22-2013, 08:19 AM

update

Put everything back together, worked great,but. could not get a good seal on the top hose where it goes into the rad.I had reused the spring type clamp. Replaced it with a screw type. Still leaked. Tried a dab of gaskacinch goop on the inside, still leaked! Ok, so the old blind man put on his glasses, grabbed a flashlight and peeked. What I found was a cracked radiator under the hose nozzle.New radiator off of Ebay and I'm all better. Now for maybe good news. For some time now under heavy load, towing, hills etc , I been puking out of the deguass bottle. Figured it was the dreaded head gasket issue. Even had it at Bullet Proof and their best guess was head gaskets.How did I know it was puking? Well the tell tale white spots and wet area around the bottle.And using water.Since the new rad it seems to have stopped. I havent towed anywhere yet, but have been out of town and up some good hills. I'm hoping that the crack on the rad was blowing water, with the aid of the fan, on the Deguass bottle.Time will tell. I am due for a break if the matters. Having to replace several plastic tank radiators over the years I can't help but wonder who the idiot was that decided to use them? Or just a case of cars and trucks being designed to just last warrentee period?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.