03 7.3 coolant in oil HELP!!! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-09-2013, 03:35 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Question 03 7.3 coolant in oil HELP!!!

I have search and nothing quite matched. While on highway with cruise control on at 70 MPH everything seemed fine when I noticed the CHECK GAUGES lamp on and the temp pegged. As soon as I kicked off the cruise and started for the side of the road the temp when right to normal. With engine running I noticed the reservoir empty while slow loosening the cap water surged into the tank after a few slow tries I got it open with and it was nearly empty. I pulled the oil fill and there was steam. I put in water and watched a bit, no exhaust issues and water held. (nothing leaking anywhere either) I continued due to my location. The truck drove fine nothing wrong, in 30 min checked again and it need about a half a gallon of water and still had steam with oil fill off and no oil in water. Got home and searched everything. and thought with 135K on truck and cruising at 70 the water pump cavitated which affected flow which caused the over temp till RPM change and the a cavitation hole was created in the front cover. SO I took off the water pump to find nothing wrong with the front timing cover (damn). I fear I have a head gasket failure that is NOT related to the cylinder area. UNLESS the wealth of knowledge on this site can tell me something else like a weird fault in oil cooler which I thought would put oil in water (don't have that). I have to assume head gasket or crack somewhere that will require me to flatbed it to a garage. ANY HELP WILL BE MUCH APPRECIATED!!!! Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-09-2013, 11:00 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

I would say you have a bad oil cooler when they go bad you either have oil in your antifreeze or antifreeze in your oil. if your truck is making oil your oil cooler is your problem .they either rust out on the inside or the o rings go bad on the ends.
Old 04-10-2013, 04:17 AM

Thanks 444 ci,
If I take it apart what smoking gun am I look for to see if I found the problem? Thanks
Old 04-10-2013, 07:38 PM

Oil cooler and O rings looks good. I'm going to have it pressure tested while it's out. Put it all back together this weekend and see if by some miracle I found the problem and didn't even know it...HA HA. Then when the truth sets in I will drive it to the local diesel shop and stroke a major check.
Old 10-01-2013, 05:14 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Did you end up taking it to a shop or what happened?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.