6.0L cold start issues - EGR? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-04-2013, 12:26 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
6.0L cold start issues - EGR?

I just got a 03 Excursion 6.0L (230K all stock) that drives fine except when started cold with 5-10 sec on white smoke, when it first starts it idles rough and had to warm up for 15+ minutes on cold days to drive otherwise it is low on power and won't rev past 2500-2900 rpm's until a few minutes then it all clears up. I did some reading and found it could be injectors, FICM or possibly the VGT. The seller claims new injectors and glow plugs approx. 50K ago. I took it to the dealership and told them to plug it into the computer to check and they said the EGR is bad. Can a bad EGR cause cold start problems or is it unrelated?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-04-2013, 01:20 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Biggest thing I did that effected my cold morning starts was to go to a synthetic oil and archoil. I was/am amazed at the diffrence in the truck I used to plug the truck in at anytime below say 30*. Now Ive started it at -4. Ya Ill admit she complained a bit at -4 but it did start.
The starting has gotten quicker smoother with alot less smoke.
Long story short, if ur running dino oil your motor is pissed off at ya for it.
Old 04-04-2013, 07:13 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I've got the EXACT same problem with my '03 F350. Feels like the only thing pulling the trucks weight is the turbo.
I just did the egr delete and that cleaned up the smoke, and overall felt like it was tuned up, but all other symptoms remain. I just kinda figured it was normal when these things are cold.
I don't think my injectors are bad yet though. I've never noticed a miss, trouble code, or excessive noise so i'm assuming its not injectors. Then again, they have 152k miles all stock and i'm not sure what new ones feel like.
As already posted, i agree that synthetic oil makes a world of difference when it comes to injector performance, as long as you don't get too curious about how long you can stretch an oil change opposed to semi-synthetic.
Other than that, i'm thinking my ficm just about cooked from trying to start it with a dead battery a few times.
Possibly fuel pressure too? I'm going to do the blue-spring mod soon and we'll see if it helps at all.
But if anyone else has any more info i'd love to know too, kinda tired of the 15+ minute warm-up every morning lol

Last edited by Big Dirty Diesel; 04-04-2013 at 07:18 PM.
Old 04-08-2013, 04:37 PM

maybe a silly question but you guys are using an anti-gel in your fuel in lower temperatures right??
Old 04-08-2013, 10:04 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhalla1 View Post
maybe a silly question but you guys are using an anti-gel in your fuel in lower temperatures right??
Well its 12*C right now and it still does it. Unless its summer temps, it always does it. But to answer your question, no i'm not using any anti-gel
Old 04-09-2013, 04:51 PM

Well thats not it then, just trying to rule out the basics.
Old 04-09-2013, 04:54 PM

could be a leaking head gasket...if possible do a compression check when cold...just a thought
Old 04-09-2013, 07:18 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Well for myself, i'm leaning toward the ficm. Ive got a few 6.0 buddies and every one i talk to seems to think ficm. I don't think it's a headgasket (granted, i'm not a certified diesel mech) but i'm looking at the bpd 53/58V ficm opposed to the standard 48V. I haven't tested mine yet, but with 245k km i'm sure it's running low voltage.
Old 04-11-2013, 06:47 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

white smoke!??? might want to remove the egr vlv if u find the intake port wet or the egr vlv wet u need a 6.0 minnie!!! diesel tech here!!! egr cooler oil cooler job.I would start with that. if not look at ur ficm mpower and vpower voltages should b at batt and at 48.volts cycle key on and off and c if voltage drops below 45 volts.if it does then ur going to need a ficm.
Old 04-18-2013, 07:10 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

white smoke is never a good sign, it could be a sign of a leaking erg cooler,, if that's the cause a clogged oil cooler will cause the egr cooler to go bad, and then the head gaskets will go,,, white smoke can also be a sign of a compression issue, 6.0s are not a good truck to buy used,, you will have to put money into it,, I bought mine at 180,000 and here is were im at rebuilt motor, new pistons rings,, lifters, valves, head gaskets with arp head studs, new hpop, rebuilt 03 turbo, blue spring upgrade, 4 inch turbo back straight pipe exhaust, new radiator ,,, 2 new injectors replacing the other 6 soon enough,, needless to say this truck has broke me,, ohh new irp and icp sensor, and im sure their is more im not thinking about,,,, my truck is bad *** now a days ,,, im runnin a sct tuner,,, but it took a lot to get their,,, would I do I again hell no,,,,, I would never buy a used 6.0 again,,, they are a money pit,,, but when you get them right they are bad ***,,, I smoke cummins , gt mustangs, and powerstroke 6.7s all the time,,,, my friend as a 7.3 with over 350,000 on it and has never done a thing to it,, if you buy a used 6.0 plan on spending 5 grand within a few months, goodluck, hope you luck was better than mine
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.