97 F350 Powerstroke will not run over 1000 RPM - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-28-2008, 08:35 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
97 F350 Powerstroke will not run over 1000 RPM

Hi, I don't know much about diesel engines, and could really use some help. Heres the thing, I went and let my 97 F350 Powerstroke run out of fuel Sunday, and after working with two hours, me and a guy that stopped to help me get it started, finely got it to pick the fuel back up. It was running pretty rough at first, but after letting run a wile it smoothed back out and was idling normally. But when I step on the accelerator peddle it rev's up to 1000 RPM and will go no higher even with it to the floor. So I figured it must still have air in the system so I went ahead and drove it down to the station ( 1st gear all the way) to fill it up thanking it would work itself out by driving it. But after driving it the mile or so, and filling up the tanks it still wouldn't go over 1000 RPM.
Could there still be air in the fuel system causing this? Is there any way I can bleed the air out of the system? The engine idles, and sounds fine it just stops and idles at 1000 RPM with the accelerator wide open. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-30-2008, 07:06 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

cant help yu but heres a for yu. someone must know whats up
Old 02-02-2008, 06:09 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

try cycling the key on with the fuel drain valve open for a bit until you see just fuel running out the bottom with no bubbles.
Old 02-02-2008, 06:39 AM

Man I hope yours didn`t do like my 97 7.3 psd did when I ran out of fuel and it did the same thing as yours. Had all the injectors checked they were fine but the O-rings were bad. Everybody tells me when you run out of fuel there is no lube to the injectors and they get hot etc. and you get damage. I would try the drain thing first for bubbles. Good luck.
Old 02-02-2008, 07:41 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks guys for the advice! I have done everything that I know to do with it, new fuel filter, cleaned the schraeder screen, and have tried cycling the key with the valve open as dirtjumper8786 suggested, but no joy. I am just going to take it down to a diesel tech to look at, cus I don't no what else to try.
Thanks again.
Old 02-02-2008, 07:48 AM

this is the reason why i err on the side of caution and fill up, even when i figure i can go another 100 miles.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.